+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cold Front?????

Looks like T.S. Matthew is hitting us, but it is not producing as much rain as they thought. It has been off and on rain all day long with a lot of drizzling rain in between.

Top story of the day is that FEMA told my neighbor to do what he had to do to keep from being flooded. So what did he do? He built a fence barrier covered with solid cloth to prevent the drainage ditch from flowing past my property. I am serious, he blocked the ditch on the county easement, and we are not talking about a small ditch.

So.... Hubby took the fence and material down last night before these rains came.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would think that they could block the county drainage easement to keep water and debree from coming on his land, especially when it causes problems for the neighbors before him.

Who would have thought!

Isn't life FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here is a pic of the blocked drainage ditch.... This is on my property and lines up with my west fence.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

and he lined his side of the ditch with this...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Now, he put sand bags up so the water will not flow onto his land. Just what I needed, huh?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tom,
    I also love that quote. Even though winter is just around the corner for us too, I LOVE fall. It is so very beautiful with all the colors. They are in full bloom right now.
    I haven't finished cutting down the gardens yet, as the colors of the different foliage really do look pretty. I still have some things blooming even with 3 days of frost and 1 nite of temps at 26! The wave petunias are still going strong, which surprises me. The sedums, asters, mums, gaillardia, and even a purple coneflower here and there. I also have some black eyed susans that are still blooming. My tropical hibisicus hasn't bitten the dust yet. It still has blooms on it.
    A friend is going to overwinter it for me, if she gets her breezway done in time. I will have to cut it back though. If it freezes and bites the dust. I'll surely buy another one next yr. $9.00 won't break me.
    52 here tonite, it was 60 today. We did receive our first freeze a little early as it usually is around Oct. 15., but we had it about 10 days ago!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Ann- My first thoughts are just how effective is that structure ? It looks pretty flimsy . After watching a documentary on the capture of the Mississippi by the Atchafalaya, it makes me think that water is going to go where it darn well wants to go(has been going) regardless of what structure man makes(my goodness the river took out part of a lock/gate system built by the Corps of Engineers at one time).
    That aside, I don’t know if you are in the city or county. We have a city council and a county commission. Technically, I am in the city. As such, one of the councilmen represents my District. In addition, we have District Advisory Boards, which meet the first day of the month, and the meetings are open to the district residents. Many area zoning issues are addressed and flooding issues as well. My Councilman has a liaison for the district advisory board and she has been very helpful addressing some residential nuisance code violations. Maybe that would be the way to go with this if your local gvt. is similarly structured. It seems like there are multiple parties being negatively impacted—and woo-wee just mention negatively impacting the environment and something’s gonna fly –might check into that angle as well.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-14-2004 at 02:12 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2