+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cold Front?????

Cold Front?????

Is there a cold front starting to brew? It was HOT today, but I see on the forecast that it is going to cool down by the weekend which usually means someone is going to get cold in the next few days.

It also forecasts rain which we haven't had since IVAN. We really need the rain, but I am not sure how well these 'bandaids' on my roof are going to hold to a thunderstorm.

Tell me, please, that it is not time for FROST to start brewing up north!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Sadly enough, it is that time of year for us Yankees!

Rebecca

Oh, NO!

I will not be ready any time soon!

Bummer!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

tonites forcast 34 to 38.
    yep its true had 39 yesterday morn!
    i have been hilling in pots of ornamental grass over the weekend.
    weeding for the last time this year, sorting things out and inventory plants.i gotta make sure hoses are drained in just a little bit.sun sets at 7:09.
    i better get busy.
    shepp

It's too SOON for cold. That is so very hard for me to even think about.

We are still having upper 80's and lows in the mid 60's.

I would like to have some cooler weather, but not COLD weather.

I don't see how I get ready for it this year. The contractors finally came to look at the roof and back side of the house today, and they estimate it will be 4-6 weeks before they will get started on it.

Brrrrrrr!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Down to 34 to 32 here tonight, but then we get to warm up for a few days and maybe even weeks, but I won't be holding my breath!

After spanding 7 hours cleaning my Dad's old apartment I got home to find that that #&!*%$# squirrle had been into the pots of small seedlings - AGAIN! They are in the house now and sometime in the next few days I will have to set up an area just for them. I also have some other cuttings that I can put with them so I won't be wasting a lot of space. I somehow managed to get all of the palnts (tender tropicals) brought in doors, now all I have to do is figure out exactly where they will all go where they will get optimal light. That could be a problem. That is when I will have to make choices on what I simply can't keep. Mostly geraniums that I would like to carry over, but a few other things as well.

I put all of the potted perennials and daylily prolifs into the patio stand/cold frame and dropped the plastic down; I am hoping it will provide enough protection until I can get the stand recovered, and hopefully keep that blasted squirrle out of things. Still have to do something else with the sale plants, but they'll be fine for now.

Oh how I really do not like cold weather!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Sounds like y'all are pretty well-prepared but I know that it's never over until the first frost(andwhen that is makes it all the more challenging). Shepp, I notice the earlier and earlier sunset times as I go out after work and plant , at this point , DL seedlings. Tonite, I was just about in the dark as I planted the last two in tonite's bunch. Just as an indication of how dark it was, my trowel has a bright orange handle on it, and I was looking all around me for it and it was right in front of me ! 14 more to go tomorrow nite. Rain predicted Wed. Then it's on to the 'adult' DL's--maybe about 30 of them and then on to the potted perennials and all those Easter lilies I rescued after Easter. I'll be amazed if I make itin time !
    Rebecca- those squirrels are just bad; I didn't know they ate DL's(or maybe it's that the pots are cool places to bury goodies); wish I had some ideas. Maybe you'll find some humor in this:
    http://skyways.lib.ks.us/kansas/town.../squirrel.html
    or this:
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/squirrelsblack.html
    Ann- Eek ! Tarp on the roof for another 4-6 weeks; that doesn't sound too good for the heating bills.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-04-2004 at 09:19 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    They don't eat the daylilies, just like to dig in the soft dirt and stash an occasional black walnut . . . . which I toss when I find them, although it might be better to put them into the kitchen trash instead of giving it back to the little bugger!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Good heavens Ann, why did you have to mention a cold front already?! I'm still trying to get my late spring/early summer yard chores caught up! My weather, somewhat like yours, is still in the upper 70's - low 80's, with 60 degrees at night. In a couple of days we are to go down to the mid 70's and 54-58 at night. Sure hope the contractors will get your roof done in time to hold the heat inside the house before winter!

Rebecca and Shep: I sure wouldn't want your weather, with such low temps and not even winter yet!!! No way am I ready for pre-winter chores yet!!!

Rebecca, you can send your squirrels over here to my place. There are millions of acorns all over the ground with lots still up in the oak trees, waiting to fall, all over this area!!! I practically can't take a single step anywhere in my yard without stepping on acorns! I've never seen so many acorns on the ground in almost 9 years that I've lived here!!! Perhaps that's why the squirrels haven't been invading my bird feeder yet! Hopefully they won't come after the bird seed for quite a while!
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

Blog Entries

Linda,

Acorns + Squirrels = BIG TROUBLE! If I sent you this little trouble-maker to you I'm afraid he'd be planting acorns in all of your potted plants and you'd have Oak trees growing instead of daylilies! And we won't even talk about what the Blue Jays would be doing with them!

Things could be worse here; the squirrel could be digging in the seedling bed and I'd also be pulling Black Walnut seedlings along with the Maple, Red Bud and Catawba tree seedlings in the Spring! But, NOOOO!, he'd rather dig up the daylily seedlings and small divisions and try to bury a 2 to 3-inch diameter black walnut in the pot! (These are mostly 1-gallon pots, but some have been smaller!) He's dug up a couple of the community pots several times and if those seedlings all survive it will surprise me. He's already managed to kill a few, and id probably responsible for other seeds not even getting to germinate. Moth balls don't even deter him! (I can see the little bugger putting on a miniature, squirrel-sized gas mask before he heads for my potted plants!)

We had another cold night last night, but todays temp is supposed to get into the mid 70's, which is more normal for this time of year. I have a bad feeling that this is gonna be a bad winter (colder than normal), if we get a good, lasting snow cover though, to protect all the plants, I'll be a happy camper!

I've been watching for the pine trees to start dropping needles, but it's a bit early for that, the deciduous trees are all still in full leaf, and only a few are turning to their fall colors. This recent cold front was very unseasonable for us, more like late November weather! What we need is RAIN! Looks like I'll be watering the flower beds again this evening when I get home from work. The mound bed is getting really dry and the plants are beginning to show it. I think I am beginning to look forward to winter, at least I won't have to be watering plants and flower beds once it really gets cold!

All for this morning, time to get in gear for work!

Rebecca

Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

More Squirrel Shenanigans !!!!

Couldn't resist !
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    I once put a half eatten jar of crunchy peanut-butter out for my little terror. It was a wide mouthed plastic jar so I didn't have to worry about him getting stuck, and I tied it to the crotch of a tree growing in the fence row. That was one happy squirrel, at least until the Blue Jays discovered what was in the jar!

It's about time to clean out the cupboards again and see if there isn't another half empty jar of peanut-butter for him. I do have some suet in the freezer, but that is for winter! It would just melt now!

Cute photo!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

They have changed our forecast. We have a 60% chance of rain for the next few days. That makes it easier for watering the plants still in the sun, but GEE, I sure hope those plastic bandaids hold up if we get a really strong wind storm!

No cold, now! I don't need it. I am not near ready for winter. Right now, I don't even have time to think about it.

And I certainly hate the thought of losing my treasured plants...

One thing for sure, though. The hardy ones will love some rain.

I won't complain. There are too many people close to me that lost everything.

So, cheers up everyone. It can always be worse.

I am thankful for what I have...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Fall is my favorite season.

This morning I went out to work in the yard and surprise, it was cool enough to stay out! When the cool wind is blowing, and the warm sun is keeping the chill off me, I love it! On the way in for lunch I just happened to notice this large sweetgum tree; every leaf on it is blood red! WOW!

The surprise lily's have been in full bloom for nearly a month now, the beauty berry's are just loaded with purple berries, the golden rod and other fall wild flowers are at their peak. The green Japanese Maples, native maples and pistache leaves are beginning to turn to thier fall colors.

But all that aside, the real reason I love fall is: That is the season I'm in! Love where I am, what I'm doing, and the CURRENT season. Sure it will be cold soon, but we can deal with that when it arives. For now and probably into Nov or Dec our weather here in the deep south will be great. I refuse to borrow trouble from the future, or drag it along from the past.
    This is a day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!
    Last edited by Tom; 10-08-2004 at 10:21 AM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Thank you Tom--what a wonderful thought and saying ! :

I refuse to borrow trouble from the future, or drag it along from the past.
    This is a day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast