+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: October Blooms...

October Blooms...

More of the same, exept that the pink Brugsmansia had three blooms on it today. I can't wait until this plant fills in more with age.

Here is a better picture...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Antique Roses

are beginning to recover with clusters of blooms....

I'd have to look up which one this is, but right now they are on a list by number left to right, and I can't count because too many broken privet branches are still covering some.

That means the blooms are very high, and I have to pull this branch down to get a closer view.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another....

There are more, but I need to get back outside and work on cleaning some more of this debris before I can get pictures.

Insurance estimate and check arrived today. Total of $13,000+ in damages with a $3,000 deductible. $10K check is here, but has to be signed off by the mortgage company. Also, the contractors are working on the houses with NO roofs first, so we are waiting...

I'll be glad when life gets back to normal.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Baby Pecan Trees

Acually, they are babies any more, but I planted them and just like children, they will always be my babies.

The hurricane removed most of the leaves. Now, they are starting to get new growth. I have seen this time and time again. It probably means that next year will be a bumper year for the pecan trees that didn't get blown over...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Just to

give you an idea of the size of these blooms. They are much bigger than Datura blooms...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My Little Pine

is no longer little....

I was worried that it would be severely damaged by the hurricane. It is still in a pot and doesn't mind being in a smaller pot. It has been in full sun since pulled out from under the tree a few days after the hurricane.

It's getting too big for its pot, but doesn't seem to mind.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Seven of my rod holders were broken or torn off the house, but none of the galvanized fence posts used for my hanging pots were damaged. Most just slid to the ground when the rod holders were broken.

I replaced most of the rod holders and the 'rods' today and started moving some my hanging pots back outside. They will have to be moved back into the patio when the roof contractors begin their work.

The only ones that really suffered were the variegated wondering jew which likes humidity and some of the begonias. It was so crowded on my patio, I couldn't get to them to water them.

Here are a few of the broken rod holders on a pile of just a few of the shingles that were torn off during the storm. Need I say, they needed replacing?
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

One of my climbing old roses is rather angry. I didn't get its picture before one of the privet limbs that had fallen broke the stem during removal yesterday.

Shame on me... It was prettier before!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Epi's that sewfarsewgood gave to me... They were just cuttings and this is only a few of what Gary and Arlene sent me. They haven't bloomed yet, but they are growing despite necglect...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh...

My crinum are in bloom, but not as good as they usually bloom. I am not sure if it is because of the hurricane or because they are getting too crowded and lack of rain.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And...

those dreaded Love BUGS...

They are everywhere!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Of course there is my Thunbergia Ugandense which blooms continuously spring until frost.

It was mashed pretty bad by the winds, then by feet connecting a badly needed water hose to our neighbor who was without power.

They are bouncing back just fine...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Looks like the plants are doing really good, despite having had their insides blown outside! That Burg is beautiful! Almost wish I had room for one. One of the neighbors has a beautiful white one (maybe a Dat..?) and that sucker is huge! Not too tall, only about four feet, but it's six feet wide! Things are really tight here, plant wise, both inside and out! Sure don't have room for any giants! If it can't live, grow and flower in a 6 to 6-inch pot I pretty much have to pass on them. I had Ept-Cats once upon a million years ago and Night Blooming Cerus, but they just got so big and took up way too much valuable growing space. Oh! BTW, that is one very nice looking Hoya next to your Epi-Cats! Does it bloom for you?

Well it's going to get cold here tomorrow night, down to 32, freeze and frost. I've been trying to get all of the house plants brought inside and still have all of the Amaryllis and their cousins and the big Lantana. I still have plants just sitting in the entry and my big palm here in the office until I can get them where they belong. Even two of the Hoya are still sitting tin there on the floor. My biggest Tropical Hibiscus is sitting in front of the laundry area in the basement as I couldn't get past it to bring plants in! I hate to have to prune it back now since it is full of buds! I may not have a choice though. I will have to hang more fixtures and set up something for the Lantana to sit on, but they will have to be brought in tomorrow regardless of what lighting I can give them. I'll have to put all the small daylily seedlings and prolifs on the patio plant stand and pull the plastic down over them until I can get their area set back up. I moved things around to give me more room (that's a joke!), and now I need to re-configure all the lighting and where the cords and such will go! I shouldn't have put it off for so long. Oh well, with only two days off and so much to be done one tends to put off what doesn't have to be done "right now"! I did manage to bring in the variegated Lantana and fit it on the plant stand in the office. Those bright yellow blooms really brighten up the space.

I'm afraid before it is all said and done there will be plants that won't be able to be kept. I'll probably end up taking all of the small plants that I multiples of in to work and let the associates have them.

Don't you just love Fall?!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  

Yep, that is a Hoya, but I don't remember what color the blooms are. I have pinched it back quite often which made it fuller, so I prabably won't get very many blooms on it for awhile. I haven't done that with most of mine, and they tend to get leggy and not as pretty.

I like that particular one for the foliage.

Believe me when I say that you don't want to see pictures of the badly damaged and/or burned plants. They are ugly, and there were many.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, et al

Be careful about pinching back the Hoya. If you will look, the blooms come on little stubby stems. You want to be careful to leave the little stubby stem, because that is where it will bloom again. Since those don't show up on much of the growing tips, you probably are OK. THis plant and these blooms are so unique that I would hate to lose one. I had to leave a huge plant back in WA. Haven't gotten one here.

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast