+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non hardy plants

Non hardy plants

Anyone in warmer climates interested in trading for plants hardy for my zone (5/6)? I have
    2 gerbera daisies (yellow and pink)
    3 new guinea impatiens (1 rose and 2 red)
    black eyed susan vine
    blackie sweet potatoe vine
    wave petunias (cherry and misc. other colors)
    2 double flowered pink impatiens
    1 fushia purple/pink
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Yo! Vicki,

Don't know if you are aware or not, but your ornamental sweet potato DOES make tubers! They don't get as big as the edible types, but you can cure them and hold them over in peat or potting soil, in a cool place and bring them back into growth in the Spring. I have a large, 14-inch tub with the lime green form that I have carried over for two years now. I let it get killed back by frost and then put it in the basement and cover it with a bucket to keep it in the dark! I'll be doing the same thing this year. Next spring I will have to un-pot it and find all the tubers so I can re-set them into fresh soil, heaven only knows how many I'll find!

I also have the Tri-color Potato Vine. It is/was only a small plant when I got it this past spring and I put it in a mixed hanging basket. I dug it out today and found two kumquat sized tubers. Since it was still trying to grow I potted them both in a 6-inch pot and have it in a window for now. I took a lot of cuttings from it earlier and they all rooted nicely and have been potted up in an 8-10-inch pot to grow through the winter down in the light garden, I'll do cuttings again in the spring and then plant them all either in tubs or in the garden.

I looked at a lot of "Blackies", but never could find one that looked good, so I didn't get one of them this year.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I went for a year not knowing what the heck my sweet potato vine even was ! I snipped it off a plant at the Wichita Boathouse, stuck it in water, potted it, and grew it over the winter. I gave a cutting to a co-worker and he got the 'Blackies' part of the name from ones he saw at a nursery ,but I still had to search and search and I just about burst out laughing when I saw it was a swee tpotato vine. Mine is outside still--I just put it in a sunny window over winter. But that other storage method is interesting.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Rebecca,
    Thanks for the reply, but pulled that little sucker up and it's now gone. It didn't have a tuber, it just had some roots. I wasn't very impressed with it. I swear it only grew about and 1" all summer long. I'm sure it wasn't getting what it needed.
    I'm terrible with overwintering things as I just do not have any room. Literally! We live in a single wide mobile home with 3 kids (2 have grown-up). The bag of dahilas I had overwintered but I planted them and only 2 grew. Even though they were nice and hard, not mushy. I don't know if I planted them too deep or what. But I hate digging things up in the fall. My motto is if it's not hardy, I'm not going to worry about it until I get my greenhouse!!!!
    We're planning on building a house, but . . . . . construction costs alot and I'm not into owing for anything, let alone the price of a new house. I'd be a nervous wreck owing the bank that kind of money! I don't need to keep up with the Joneses, so will be building it as we go. We were going to start this yr., but had some troubles, so it will have to be next spring.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    I'll have to send you cuttings of my Tricolor Impome next Spring, I'll probably have tuber of the Chartreuse one I can send.

The ornamental sweet potatoes take the same care as the edible ones do. Sunshine, lots of water and easy on the fertilizer. Soil should be well drained and of a light, fluffy mix.
    They should not be allowed to dry out to the point that the plant wilts. The roots do need lots of room if they are to develop tubers.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Amazing Little Plants...

One of the plants that I rescued from under the fallen pecan tree as a purple sweet potatoe vine. Today, when I walked around my propagation area which is now vacant of plants, I noted several of these little babies popping up. When I pulled the mother plant up, it had rooted in many areas, but what I didn't know is that the roots that were still in the ground would produce little babies....

Live and learn from experience!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another...

There are three so far that have popped up...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Still Another

The third...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

NEATO! NEATO!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My tricolored one is still alive, but it was hit hard.

It is recovering with lots of watering....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Potatoe

of the ornamental sweet potatoe...

I overwintered this one and some of the soil washed through during recent heavy rains.

Thought you might want to see a picture!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread