+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tibouchina (Which one?)

Tibouchina (Which one?)

In a follow-up to my last posting, Ann mentioned T. urvilleana. I'm not sure if what I have is that or granulosa. I got them from a Florida grower, several years ago. They were labeled just, "Tibouchina". Sometimes, those guys are not too exacting in their nomenclature.

What do you think? We're getting good blooming lately, even though the weather is a little cool.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John,

That looks very much like what I have!!!!!

Give me a day or two, and hopefully, I can take some pics of my blooms.

The leaves are light green, soft and textured. The flower is a medium purple.

Most Tibouchina's around here will be this one, but it is not often that you see them on the market or in the landscape, unless you are a plant collector, like me...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Finally!

I am not sure if they simply bloom better this time of the year or whether it simply requires this long for the herbaceous shrub to get big enough to start blooming it's little heart out.

An easy to propagate plant...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If it's purple, I'll love it!! Thanks for sharing

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Gosh, I am always in a hurry with too little time for my love for propagating...

Anyway, I took some cuttings of my Tibouchina before the first frost. I planned to pot them up, but ran out of room for more pots. So, I decided to maintain them in a bucket (kitty litter - recycled bucket) of water for the winter. I have watched them and some of the leaves fell into the water. I added a little water a few times, but haven't totally replaced the water.

To my amazement, some of these woody cuttings have roots. All of the cuttings are very much still alive, but only the uppermost growth is healthy and fresh looking.

In one week, during our Mardi Gras holidays, I will put all of these cuttings in pots. The ones with roots will simply go into the pots. The roots are small, but none the less amaze me that they exist.

The rootless cuttings will recieve a fresh cut and some rooting hormone and into a pot they will go. Now that I know that they will survive in a bucket of water, I will try more next winter. They take much less room to overwinter in water than they do in individual one gallon pots.

Cool...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The rooted cuttings bloomed before the parent plants did.

They are still in the one gallon pots and still blooming. It is time for them to find a permanent home.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Drooling here
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread