+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Confusing names.

Confusing names.

Here's a little plant that, in southern climes, may be used as a ground cover; it roots wherever the stems touch the ground.
    Around here, where it will not survive the winter, it can be used in baskets, etc. When I first saw this, it was called Tibouchina Vine. Then, I was told it was not that, but Spanish Shawl (Heterocentron elegans). Now, I see that it isn't Spanish Shawl, either. (but is sometimes mistaken for S.S. which has only 4 petals in the flower.) The correct? name is Dissotis rotundifolia, commonly called Trailing Glory Flower, which brings us back, pretty closely, to the original Tibouchina Vine as, at least one of the Tibouchinas is called Purple Glory Bush.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John,
    Sure is pretty! Never seen anything like around these parts, though. Seems as if all the nurseries offer the same ole' stuff. Thanks for the pretty pictures.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Tibouchina urvilleana

John,

That is so very pretty. I have the not so rare Tibouchina, and I love it. The leaves are more elongated, velvety and very delicate. I had hoped to take some pictures for you, but newly forming buds (Ivan took many) have not opened yet.

Also, we are in dire need of rain, but don't tell Mother Nature that I said that. l I still have huge 'bandaids' on my roof.

Here's a site that has good pictures of what I have. They are easily propagated, and one day, I really should propagate lots of them. I have seen them planted in clusters at Bellingrath Gardens and they are very pretty. Mine get about 5 foot tall and do not require pruning. They normally bush out quite nicely. These will bloom until frost.

http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/tib.cfm
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread