+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lantana

All I can tell you is that these are invasive here... At least the ones that produce seeds are...

The birds eat the berries, and they deposit them and they grow everywhere. They ripen from mid summer on, so the birds keep having a feast.

I do notice that many of the new ones pop up in the early spring, so I suspect that they are able to overwinter in our mild winters (28-32+) and then pop up as soon as the ground warms up and the rains start.

Have you ever squeezed a juicy ripe pod open? It seems to me that when I did, there were numerous seeds.

Since they are so proliferic here, I have never tried to figure out whether drying them was important or not, but I doubt they need a dormant period. They just pop up everywhere and anywhere.

I wish I could help you more, but my advise is to start some in really moist mix under lights (with frost protection) and watch them grow.

They really are a weed here, except for the trailing ones which rarely produce seeds.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Lantana are not hardy beyond zone 9-10, so I wouldn't plant seeds directly in the ground until all danger of frost has past. I also doubt that the ones that do grow would have enough time to mature enough to bloom before being killed back by frost. It seems to me the best way to grow these from seed is to start them indoors, under lights and grow them on through Spring. You can then harden them off and plant them in the garden (or pots). Some should be able to produce some bloom the first summer.

The one thing you need to remember is that the seeds do not stay viable for very long and trying to hold them over until late Spring would only result in very poor germination, if any at all.

Wish I had more encouraging news for you.

Ann, a lot of the newer hybrids are more or less sterile and produce very few seeds. So far, only the little lavender flowered one that I have has not produced any fruits at all. 'Confetti' will even bare "fruit" in late winter in the basement growing area! (There always seems to be a few flies hanging around!) I make a point of keeping them all dead headed unless I really want a few seeds to try to grow, but I usually don't mess with trying to grow any from seeds. They are so easily grown from cutting and I get exact duplicates of the plants I have. With the seeds, there's no telling what you'll get!

Rebecca

Rebecca,

The kind that are invasive here sprout from seed quite readily and grow rapidly to produce blooms. They are one of the fastest growing shrubs, except for the popcorn tree and the privet which are probably equal in growth rate as a seedling.

The seedlings will survive our in our low temp freezes, but I don't think they will survive frozen ground (we don't have that).

Here are some pics of some of the ones that are invasive. These are on the nieghbor's property, and they branch out on our side of the fence.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks. I advised the person I gave them to to plant them in a microclimate(south side of house; protected). I did give her the indoor start option but I knew she wouldn't go for that. She soaked them first and did just that--we'll see what spring brings !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-26-2004 at 01:27 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2