+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Late September Blooms

Late September Blooms

The south is not known for its color in the fall. I think I mentioned before that for a long time, I collected plants that would bloom after the summer annuals had gone to seed.

Some of the bloom even though I didn't choose them for that reason.

Some simply bloom from spring to the first frost.

I saw a hummingbird late yesterday afternoon. There are as many blooms as usual, so I need to be

Here are some pictures.

My red passiflora...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Not the spectacular display that occurs in the spring, but a welcome site.

The 'Cross Vine'...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A different colored Lantana bloom. A little blurry, but I think you will get the idea...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The regular, common Lantana that is often a weed, but very pretty...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

American Beauty Berry...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Fairy Rose...

I absolutely must propagate more of these. It blooms from spring until frost, and there are lots more blooms that will open in the weeks to come.

Such a sweet and refreshing site. It is more dwarf, has small leaves and absolutely no black spot, but produces lots and lots of clusters of tiny pink blooms.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you, Ann. They are quite lovely. I'm glad you share the beauty with us.

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    I'm going to try to propagate some Lantana from the plants at work. Not sure how they will keep inside or where to keep inside. I read something about a cool place in the basement but then again why not in a sunny place. I love the different colored petals on one bloom. I also hope to get some coleus and the mums later this season.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Confederate Rose

Lantana overwinters fairly easily. If the leaves fall off, and it goes dormant, just don't water as often. The trailing kind is herbaceous (dies to the ground) here, but the other, depending on its size, may or may not die all the way back.

We had such a mild winter that I thought I would have tons of blooms earlier on my confederate rose. The larger branches did not freeze back this year.

Then Ivan came, and most of the leaves were gone. My Eucalyptus falling on it didn't help. Today, I am pleased to see a few buds and a bloom! This shrub is about 18 foot tall. I had to bend the branch down to get this picture.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Confederate Rose Bud

Here is a big fat bud that is barely open. It gives you an idea of the size of the bloom.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Brugsmansia

This is a pink brugsmansia. The leaves were torn up so badly that I didn't think I would see a bloom this year. It's very sunny and bright today, so the picture didn't take as well as I would like without a filter, but you get the idea. And WOW, the wind is blowing...

It's a welcome sight!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Clerodendrum ugandense

This one blooms from summer to frost. It is herbaceous, but bounces back really quickly. Every year, I tell myself that I should prune it more so that it would be more bushy (and I could make more), but time seems to always get away with me.

Besides, I hate to cut off the flowers and I love to watch the bumblebees devour this one.

One of my many favorite....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Passiflora Amethyst

When I first researched this Passiflora, I learned that it was not hardy here. The roots went through the pot and into the ground. When I pulled it up to move inside the garage for winter protection, I didn't expect the roots to create more vines. The next year, it did! This is one of them!

I hope to get one of these planted on the fence this fall, save one in case that one doesn't make it, and try again next spring.

It's leaves are more delicate than the red one....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Confederate Rose

Some of the fall flowers put on a really good show. My Chinese Snowball is in the middle of it's fall bloom cycle ( buds that just can't wait til spring).

Just yesterday, the Confederate Rose started showing it's wonderful colors. Such a neat flower.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Hibiscus mutabilis

Sorry about that, I should have done a better job of identifying that plant.

Even here in the lower part of zone 7, this plant is a perrienial shrub. Right now it is about 10 feet tall, and is just starting to flower. It will be showey from now until the first frost, then it will lose all it's buds and leaves. Before spring, the winter weather will kill it all the way back to the ground. I will mulch it quite heavy with pine straw, and it will come up new from the ground in spring. It always amazes me that it can grow so tall in just one season.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast