+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dying Witch Hazel(Hamamelis virginiana)

Blog Entries

Dying Witch Hazel(Hamamelis virginiana)

Help ! I've already killed off 1, possibly 3 total. I got them as twigs in the spring and stuck them in pots. I have 3 left. Two have the outer green on the leaves starting to yellow. What am I doing wrong ?
    Thank you !!!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathi,
    Sure wish I could help with your problem. Are they maybe going dormant yet? The nights are getting chilly here, and leaves are starting to change.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Michael Dirr says his success rate on rooting cuttings is in the 2-5% range. Establishing roots with 2000ppm IBA in sand under mist works fairly well, but the survival rate after rooting is difficult. They tend to die over fall and winter.

You may need to feed them with a mild solution of transplant root stimulator, just to help them get through the fall and winter.

As I've said before, I do not like to "Check for roots by tugging" because you take a chance of damaging any roots that may be forming. If they are in individual containers, you could check the dead one, or gently seperate the medium from the root zone to check for roots.

If they are still under mist, they may be suffocating from too much water (indicated by the yellowing leaves).
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Wow ! The fact that we are going into the Fall really complicates matters. I did have one plant just dry up about a month ago and figured I somehow forgot it even though it was with its Ďsiblingsí but perhaps mixed in with other pots and not so obvious. The one that is in the best shape was keep in semishade; the others were placed in semi-sun. When I saw them taking a turn I put them back in semi-shade but by then Ďthe processí was happening. Assuming I had perhaps deprived them of adequate moisture I basically flooded them(one time only) and threw in some Superthrive. The process continued with 2 of them and their leaves dried and dropped. I honestly donít know if they are deadóI donít know how to tell. I have 3 left with one getting yellow on ist leaves. Iím going to treat them as if they are all alive. Iíll put them in the ground in a low lying area as I hear they like moist soil. I do have rooting hormone solution but I might just use Superthrive . Knowing the rooting success rate of cuttings to be low, if they donít make it through winter Iíll chalk it up to that. Itís very frustrating not understanding what is going on and if its natural or something Iím doing wrong.

Blog Entries
    Update--I never cease to be amazed at how some plants will rally past my ignorance and survive. I was truly amazed today to see one of the witch hazels that had dropped its leaves having new leaves developing on it. The other one shows no signs of that. So, I have no idea what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. I would like to believe that the superthrive has something to do with it or maybe the water. Simply Amazing !

+ Reply to Thread