+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How fun!

How fun!

Hi Everyone,
    Just wanted to let you all know that I went to my first 'plant swap'. Had alot of fun. Have any of you ever gone to one? It was some people that I'm on another forum with called GardenFriends on yahoo. There were about 20 of us there altogether. It was fun meeting people I have been 'talking' to for over a yr. on the group. We all brought a dish to pass and some donated 'door' prizes. I won a beautiful caladium and a cute hand painted clay pot. Anyhows we also brought potted up plants to 'swap'. You set your plants up in front of you. Then when round 1 starts you each pick a plant that you've previously scoped out. Round 2 pick a plant, round 3 pick 2 plants, round 4 pick 2 plants, round 5, pick 4 plants, round 6 pick 4 plants. etc. goes on until all the plants are swapped. You pick as many as you bring. It was quite fun and the people were friendly and funny. Mostly everybody had different plants. It was about 35 miles away for me, 4 of the people came from indiana! One gal from traverse city which is a 3 1/2 hr. drive. It was neat to put faces with the names.
    Gardening clubs in your area might host one, if you hear of one check it out.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

Sounds like you had lots of fun! So what kind of goodies did you take and what did you bring back home with you?!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,
    I took 37 plants with me. Some hosta, lavender, forsythia, a couple daylilies, white coneflowers, pink coneflowers, butterfly bushes, penstemon, pink painted daisy, maltese cross.
    Brought home daylilies, siberian iris, perscaria shrub, green & yellow var. sedum, purple emporer sedum, yellow butterfly bush, calla lilies, hollyhocks, campanula (white bell flowers), rose of sharons, mums, pink spirea, sundrops, blue spruce sedum, and the best thing was being able to put faces to the names.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Vicki,

That's quite a list of plants! The ones you took and what you brought home. I'm a little green with envy over the Yellow Butterfly Bush! I have 'Black Knight' a lovely pink and the regular lilac-lavender. The later came up volunteer in one of the potted plants. I really like the Budleias, just wish they were longer lived! Hope to root cuttings from Black Knight and the pink one come spring, as I doubt they will come come a third year. Those new sedums you brought back sound very interesting as well.

Did you get named (registered) daylilies, or someone's seedlings? You know me, always wanting to know what everyone has!

I've had "Painted Daisies, but they eventually died out because I couldn't keep enough wanter on them. I have Maltese Cross, or at least I remember seeing it bloom last summer. The bed they are in is getting way too much shade from a couple of young Mulberry trees, after the daffodils bloom, not much else does well in that bed anymore. My neighbor and I are going to be cutting down part of the Mulberry trees later in the fall. Hopefully this will increase the amount of sunlight that bed gets and the perennial still alive will do better next season.

It's always nice being able to put faces with the friends we make on-line. I know you really enjoyed the swap meet!

Rebecca

PS

Here's the latest of the Candy Lily seedlings to bloom, sorry it isn't a better image.
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, that's a pretty pic. I grew some candy lily's from seed 3 yrs. ago. I had one bloom this year. It was more yellow though. Bob that used to be on this forum gave me the seeds. I don't think they like it where I have them planted, as they still aren't very big.
    I'll try to root a cutting for you Rebecca. I did a couple other ones earlier this season and they're still looking good. Might even have roots on them.
    Unfortunately the daylily's are just purple and red so. But doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad to have other colors besides yellow or orange!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

I'll have to send you some seeds from the candy lily that gave me these. I doubt these seedlings will have a chance to ripen seeds before frost. They are blooming rather late in the season. Normally they bloom much earlier!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread