+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tom

Tom

Tom,
    Was wondering how you fared thru Ivan? Don't know where Ralph, Ala. is. But sure hoping for your safety, too.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Thanks Vicki,

We are in West Central Ala, just 60 miles southwest of Birmingham. The wind and rain started here about 6AM and is still going off and on now at 11:30 PM, but has mostly passed and settled down. Both power and phone services were out for several hours during the day, but all is back in working order now.

We were in the direct path up until it turned east a bit during the day, but we were still close. The predicted very high winds didn't happen here, but they were strong enough to put a few trees on the ground for us, including my favorite Eastern Redbud, which now lays across my driveway. I'll have to move it tomorrow in order to get out. I guess we will learn more about what the total effects were once we can get out and inspect.

The entire property is littered with downed limbs and broken tree tops, but nothing serious. As well as I can tell from the house, only a few of the nursery pots were turned over, and some of the plastic ground cover has lifted. It looks like I may be able to recover everything when the weather breaks enough for me to get out there. A quite large limb fell on top of my misting box, but I don't think anything is damaged.
    Last edited by Tom; 09-16-2004 at 10:40 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries

Tom,

Good to here you are all a-OK! I'll pass it on to Ann when I hear from her again.

When I spoke with her yesterday morning she sounded good, spirits were up, just a bit tired - which can be expected. It's going to be a long two weeks, if not longer before she gets power back. Phone service will probably be restored first. They do have a generator, but I doubt she'll be able to be on-line before full power is restored.

I heard on a news report yesterday that a couple of my neighboring counties have sent power crews to Alabama, perhaps one of them will go to Mobile.

Hope noting was too seriously damaged that was in the mist box. I have lots of Red Bud seeds again this year, I can send you all you want! They do grow fairly well from seed.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Tom glad you made it thru a ok.
    William B.Z-6

Rebecca,
    The big thing about the Redbud, was it's character. It had seen a lot of trouble in it's days, long before I got here. I've got lots of volunteer plants all around, but I will not be replacing this one, in that spot. I think all the stuff in the mister is still OK. It was raining when the limb fell on it, and while the power was off. I didn't realize that the controller had turned over and left the water off until this morning when I went out to fix things. The cuttings had been without mist for about 16 hours, but many of them are starting to get roots now, so maybe they are alright. If not, there is another season comming.

Tony,
    I am about 150 miles straight north of Ann, so by the time the storm reached us, it had slowed quite a bit. But it still was not much fun. Of all the plants in pots, only a few turned over, and were unharmed when I set them up straight. One large butterfly bush is partially out of the ground, don't know if it will make it or not. Frankly I was a little tired of it where it is anyway.

Thank you both for your concern, and support. Now if anyone would like to come help pick up limbs and cut up downed trees you are welcome. It looked like a war zone out there this morning, but we made a big dent in it all today. Thankfully we do not mow all the place, just about an acre around the house.
    Last edited by Tom; 09-17-2004 at 10:24 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Cool

Tom,
    I can see your optimism shining through. I'm glad things weren't worse for you and your's. The pics on the news are horrible.
    Take Care!!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Tom, You were one of the ones I was praying for. Very glad you made it through OK. Today, we got some remnant effects--enough rain so I don't have to water.

Sorry I couldn't send my concern sooner. Our hard drive crashed.

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Thanks for the prayers Sandi,
    I've had a Hard drive crash before, they are not fun. If I had my choice, I think I would pick up limbs, and downed trees, in place of trying to get past a crash.

Vicki,
    I could show you some really ugly pictures too, but I would have to isolate the shots, so the undesturbed areas would not show. Kinda like the TV folks do.
    Here is a look at what I percieve to be my biggest loss. This picture was taken during the dormant season because I really liked the character of the tree. If you could get a really close up look, you could see that it was bound to fall soon anyway.
    So, we move on.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Just catching up on my reading. Rebecca- you mentioned power crews from your state. The first thing I saw on I-95 headed south when I came out of the airport in Florida was a caravan of Indianapolis Power trucks. Natch, that reminded me of you. Good guys !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Good ole Hoosier Hospitality in action, we even deliver!

From what I understood some would be going to Little Rock and be dispersed from there, appearently there were two caravans sent out! I imagine there are crews from all over the US coming in to help restore power to all affected by the terrible trio. Sure do hope no more make landfall, anywhere - just stay out to sea!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

What a NEAT Tree!

Tom,

It's so sad to see something that unusual go down...

Perhaps you could grow a seedling and get it to twist a bit as it grows?!?

It would be fun to watch grow while remember the original...

Glad that you missed the worst part also! I still have a hard time believing that it actually took that turn at the last minute. It must have turned right after the big pecan went on our house.

It was after that time that others went down in my neighborhood. They were pointing more from the NE to the SW whereas the one that came down on my house was leaning slightly south of due east.

Does Ralph, AL have all of its power? More and more of ours are coming up by the minute, but none here yet. I am anxiously waiting. Teachers have to report to school Friday, and I sure would like to have a good night sleep with air conditioning and WITHOUT the sound of the generator just outside my window at least one night before going back to work.

Besides, someone has to refill this thing with gas and oil every 2.5 hours.

Right now, I'm just trying to keep my spirits up. The roof has 3 huge 'bandaids' in case of rain. It will take awhile for the contractor to get to ours to repair it. All contractors are super loaded with work...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread