+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ivan Status

yea

hey glad to see you made it ok.
    sorry to see the leanto GH is trashed. bummer.
    good excuse to get a new GH huh.
    glad the fireplace is ok . and you have plenty of firewood now.
    really glad your ok. i know your one tough cookie.
    butter pecan .

My favorite kind of cookie! Thanks for the compliment. It's been a few hard days, and a few more to follow.

Makes you appreciate power, but I must admit I can do without power a lot easier than water. At least I can bath and wash dishes... Believe me, there is a lot of that being done in this heat!

I am extremely grateful that they saved the fireplace, but there is nasty damage near it and to the patio. It's a lot easier to fix roof damage than a fireplace, though, isn't it?

More pics later...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Ann,

It is so good to see you posting again!

I know you told me that Pecan tree was big, but she was huge beyond what I expected! That must have been some monster wind to snap a tree that size. Lordy, what a mess! I was not aware they lives so long! 75 years, that tree has been through a lot in it's life-time, saddens me as well that it was lost.

Ann, you just don't know how glad I am that y'all are all okay! I know you talked the brave talk, but this was one bad boy of a storm and I am so thankful you didn't catch the full force of it. All the material things can be repaired or replaced, but it'd be awfully hard to replace you! Impossible, in fact.

You know, I wondered if you'd be able to hook up the PC and cable to the generator, sure am glad you were able to!

I know you lost more than the Pecan tree, is there any that I could replace for you? Just let me know. I've been kinda bummed out that I am not able to come down to help y'all with the clean up and it would give me some small sense of being of help.

Really happy to see you in here!

Hugs!

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca!

We will be fine. It just takes time, and as they said on the radio, some discomfort and a lot of hard work.

Martin, What a treat to see you join Landspro. Thanks for joining to tell me you were thinking of me.

Thanks, everyone, for caring.

My heart goes out to Pensacola, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Baldwin County and all of those folks just east of us.

I am very thankful that the worse part of the storm did not come up Mobile Bay, but I sure hate it that our neighboring cities are suffering so much.

I haven't seen pictures yet, no tv, but I have heard reports on the radio, and it is horrible what a storm surge can do.

Most regretable are the deaths...

Thank you so much for all of your prayers!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

WOW. Glad you are all okay except the tree and roof. We were all praying for you and yours.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Whew ! Glad you and yours are safe ! I was in FL when Ivan was headed towards you. I was transfixed in front of the Weather Channel and constantly was thinking that I know someone who actually lives in Alabama and I am hoping they will be OK. At the same time I was watching Jeanne making sure she wasn't headed my way. I was in the Atlanta airport the day before Ivan came thru there. I overheard(well they were talking so loudly) 2 guys on cell phones telling a story of how they had been in Biloxi MS and everything was shut down around them. With no way out they hired a cab driver who drove them from Biloxi to Atlanta-an 11 hour drive- for $400. I guess the cab driver was glad to be out of there. Is it Alabama where Chucky the 1,000 alligator is missing from a little zoo or is it SC ? Gee, you don't have native alligators in Alabama do you ?
    I don't have any pecan trees but you are welcome to a 7 inch silver maple tree.

Again, be safe !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 09-20-2004 at 08:33 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Ann, never underestimate the power of Prayer! Those pix are awesome. I am just so glad you were all safe.

Sandi
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Still NO POWER!!!!

They are now saying it will be Thursday before we get power.

The adjuster just left. He went into the attic and reported that to everyone's amazement, the house is indeed well built. None of the internal 6" rafters were busted or even cracked. He was surprised that none of the sheetrock on the inside was cracked.

The top of the chimney shifted, so that will have to be repaired. The whole back side of house has deep gouges in the siding, so that has to be replaced. The window busted and will be replaced.

They are going to reroof the house as well as fix the structural damage on the eaves and they are going to replace and repair the portion of the patio screen framing that bulked due to the weight on the corner of the house.

AND they are going to allow the cost of replacing the lean to and the two picnic tables that were crushed.

Plus, the max for lost perishable food.... This little generator can't do it all and is not keeping everything frozen. I have no power to the inside refrigerator, so all of that has been tossed. The smell is not as bad as I had dreaded.

I don't know how much all of this comes to, but the tree removal alone costs $2500. I will have to pay that right away. It will come out of the $3,000 hurricane deductible.

Lots and lots to do. School may open on Monday, and I may have to go in before then to check out my classroom.

I'm whooped! At least a cold front came through. 61 degrees this morning, and only in the 80's the last couple of days.

Well, I'm off to the store to try to find the right color of shingles... I have to come home every few hours to refill this generator and start it again. At least two out of three traffic lights are either inoperable or totally gone. That means twice as long to get anywhere since they are treated as four way stop lights.

Life sure is simpler when you have power, but the worse is over. At least they have that tree off my house and no one was hurt in the process.

Till Later!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The roof by the chimney where one of the branches was wedged. This is what we feared when the tree was being taken down. This is one BIG chimney, and I didn't want to lose it. Can't buy this 9" brick anymore.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another View

This was taken after the leaves turned brown. Most of my trees don't have leaves anymore. They were blown off.

Taken with a 35 mm camera.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Dauphin Island

Now, for why it is not safe to be anywhere near the water. Some pictures near the marina on the inland side of Dauphin Island.

This boat brought with it the pilings and all. It's a big BOAT!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Boats

Just imagine, it was so very much worse in Pensacola and Gulf Shores, AL
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This was one of the homes that wasn't totally wiped out. I did not go on the west end where the damage is always worse. These were taken as you enter the island from the north.

The power of a wind and waves...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Oh, So Sad!!

I suppose that many of you are not familiar with this phenomenom, but the fact remains true and it happens every time, to my sadness.

A gentleman that lives about a mile from me was working with his son and family to cut down a huge pine tree. It was leaning on a Bell South telephone line. When it was falling, it fell on the line and somehow bounced back toward him, hitting him in the face and chest, then the tree was on top of him. He died.

A 7 year old child in Foley, AL was hit by some sort of falling debree during tree removal and died.

Over and over, you hear these stories.

Everyone that looked at the tree on my house said, "That's a deadly tree. You need to hire a professional tree company."

I'm glad I did, and I have to tell you that when the adjuster looked at the pictures of the tree and saw the damage, his comments were that there was no doubt that we did what we had to do. The pics tell it all.

Hang in there, everyone! Life will get back to somewhat normal. No matter what happens, it always does tend to get back that way.

Still no power, but cooling off a bit. Most of my plants are bouncing back now that they are getting some sprinkles of water from the hose.

Oh, I almost forgot. They finally showed pics of the west end of Dauphin Island. It is far worse than I ever imagined. It looks like a gigantic fork raked across the island. There is no way to explain. The beaches I once enjoyed are pretty much gone.

So, answer this.... Who am I to complain because I don't have power? There is no doubt that I will eventually have it back, but some things cannot be fixed, like losing a loved one....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The BEST Birthday Present!!!!

I have POWER!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast