+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ivan Status

Hurricane Ivan Status

Many of you have ridden one of these storms out with me before, but I don't think I need to tell you that this one is different. It is a MONSTER!

Most of the schools are closed tomorrow, but our school system announced this afternoon that we will have school until noon unless otherwise announced.

Just in case, I covered my teacher computer and printer with plastic and unplugged the internet and power cord as well as the overhead projector. If we do have school tomorrow, I will have my students put the textbooks in plastic garbage bags. We were without textbooks for the first few weeks, and I sure would hate to have the classroom set destroyed by water damage.

A relative is picking up Hunter from school because I won' t get off in time. The cars, including my old one are filled with gas. Walmart is already out of batteries. Boards are already prepared for the windows, but need to be installed.

We have gas for cooking, but my Mom, brother, sister and others do not, so they are going to pick up the extra propane tanks from here.

I don't like this. I don't like it at all, but you do what you have to do....

Betcha my kids don't want to do a thing tomorow, but WE WILL!

I'll keep in touch as long as I can. Meanwhile, know that we are doing what we can.

I am so glad that I don't live between two rivers and by the bay on this one. I am also glad that none of my family (including my Mom) lives there anymore.

Here we go.... It's going to be a rough ride, but hopefully it will not come onshore anywhere near here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

i wouldnt trade you places. take care!
    how about freezer ziplocks to protect the books.?
    keep your life jackets handy if for no other reason to use as a pillow.if you have to go to a shelter.
    hey tom do you have room for Ann and family or are you in the same predicament?
    i will say a prayer for you .
    shepp zone 5/6 rains forcast for all of this weekend from ivan.
    who knows i may be down your way for storm restoration.

Blog Entries
    Thankfully I do not have to live with hurricanes, just tornados! I think it's harder in a way for folks like me who have friends in hurricane areas, the darned things last what seems like forever, especially since we can now track them from days away from landfall. I've been worried about Ivan since it started to form and now I'm really worried!

I can not do anything but pray for everyone's safety and well being.

I watch a couple of different weather channels, one on line and one on the TV, but it doesn't help when you hear conflicting reports about what this monster is going to do or rather could do.

Ann, I'll be worrying about you and yours and everyone else in it's path until it is over and then the long wait will come until I can find out if everyone is alright. I do not like the not knowing!

Ann, I known everyone tells you this and that you have already gone through all your preparations, but Please, please be safe! And let us hear from you as soon as you can when it's over, even if you have to call one of us to let the others know! (If the phones will work) Do you have a cell phone?

May the Lord hold you all in the safety and comfort of His all protecting hands!

Rebecca

Ann and others in the area, My prayers are with you. I have been keeping informed on Ivan and he doesn't look nice. Hopefully he will maybe weaken some. I'm glad yu are smart enough to prepare as much as possible. I'll pray for safety for you and all your loved ones.
    tennessee sue

We let the kids go home at 11:30am, and we all vacated the school premises by 12:30am.

I stopped by Walmart on the way home. They are completely boarded up except for 1 side of an entry door. Other type doors which I don't really ever notice because they are painted gray and 'blend in', had bags of potting soil stacked to prevent water from entering from below the doors.

The cold meat counters were all empty. The center isles were stocked with non-parishables like tuna, spam, sodas and crackers.

There weren't any lines at the checkouts like I was told there were yesterday.

The batteries and flashlights have been gone at ALL stores for a couple of days. The plywood sold out, but more keeps arriving. People are lined up around the stores to buy wood.

All of the hotels are booked for many, many miles away. I am so glad that I don't have to stay in a motel. Been there, done that, during Frederick and I never want to do that again.

Right now, it is not looking good for us. The projected path moved slightly westward, but the center path is still directly over my home. Believe it or not, it is worse to be on the east side of the eye.

I certainly don't want to wish anyone else harm, but I surely hope it moves further away before coming on shore.

Hopefully, we won't lose power before we know if we are going to get hit hard or not. I'll do my best to keep you posted.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I hope you and family come thru this monster ok.I'II be watching the T.V. and hopeing for the best.
    Thinking of ya'll from Tennessee,
    William B.

Thank you, William!

You ALL are so very wonderful.

Please know that I am not scared or terrified. This is not new to me. We have gone through these since I was a small child, and I am older than I like to tell.

It's not fun. It's the pits, and yes, there is danger, but there is danger on the highway every day.

We do the best to prepare, be safe and live throgh it. The worst, if it comes through here like they are predicting will be the mess we have to deal with afterwards and the lack of power, so COME ON DOWN, SHEPP.

That is the part that I dread... It's called clean up and repair and dealing with insurance companies. On that note, the insurance companies are wonderful during these things, but the costs go sky high afterwards.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Ann,

I'm happy to hear you are not scared or terrified, because, to tell the truth, I'm scared enough for both of us. I've not really known anyone that was in a hurricane before "meeting" you and it puts a totally different slant on how I react to such things.

I am praying for you and everyone in Ivan's path and saying an extra prayer or two for you and yours and the city of New Orleans. 10.000 people there who rely on public transportation and no way to evacuate. That has to be very hard to deal with.

I know you will keep as safe as you humanly can and I'm hoping the aftermath isn't too bad. Wish I could come down to help with the clean up. Even if I could afford to take the time off from work I don't think they'd let me at the beginning of the X-Mas layaway season. (Still no help has been hired and was told today that they didn't know when I would be getting any!) Being the only person in the entire store who knows how to do the complete job is the pits!

Keep us posted for as long as you can, as I am sure you will. But I'm still going to worry about you!

Rebecca

Oh, Rebecca!

I don't know how to explain it, but I guess the only way to try is to explain it like it is.

As a child, I was horrified every time we evacuated and my Dad, cousins, uncles, brothers took their shrimp boats and rode out one of these storms. Since then, my brother died, and my Dad died, and neither in one of these storms. The rest of the my family do not ride out the storms anymore. So, you see, that was always my fear as a child and young adult during these evacuations. It is no longer a fear or a nightmare, and I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Now, it is just a matter of doing what we know we must do, and I guess that now I can say that I am doing it with LOTS of experience. Also, I know what to expect should it come our way.

The unknown is sometimes the worst fear, and this is not an unknown for me.

Not FUN, and I dread it, but we will be just FINE! My biggest challenge now is getting Hunter through it without his being terrified. This is a new experience for him, and he is already asking about how to get the kittens in the middle hallway when things get bad. I said, "Don't worry about it, Hunter. They will be safe."

We will be just fine. We have had to deal with this before, and we will be fine. Just tell Shepp to get that power crew down here to help as soon as this thing is over.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hope you all are still okay. It's almost 9AM here. Are you still at function... electric, etc?

God bless.
    Cal

Robert,

All is fine here. It's windy and starting to cloud up. Rain from the first feeder band should get here within an hour or so. Tropical force winds will start later this afternoon with hurricane winds starting during the night and lasting until tomorrow morning.

Right now, we are still preparing as much as we can.

I'll check in as often as I can until we lose power. There is no doubt that we will lose power before this is over. I just hope that we don't lose it for weeks at a time.

They are ordering more evacuations because of the possibility of it coming up Mobile Bay and bringing 18 feet of water into some areas like Saraland.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Everything is still fine.

I am tired, and I am going to try to get some rest for the next few hours. The wind is starting to blow really hard, and I know from experience that it will sound like a freight train headed through the middle of my home in the mid-morning hours. There will be no sleeping then...

Should I lose power, which appears to be quite likely, I will be in touch via cell phone to Rebecca.

Thanks, all for your concerns. We are facing a rough night.

Till later...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It is getting really bad. The wind is howling something awful, and the worst is not here yet. I hear branches breaking outside, but can't see which ones.

We are having numerous power surges, so I have to keep this thing off for the most part.

I don't know how many more times I can check in before the power is totally gone...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,

Just registered so that you'll know that I'm still keeping a close eye on you from up here. Batten down the hatches and set the course into the wind. Then you'll arrive back in port safely and in one piece!

Martin

Originally posted by Ann B.
    It is getting really bad. The wind is howling something awful, and the worst is not here yet. I hear branches breaking outside, but can't see which ones.

We are having numerous power surges, so I have to keep this thing off for the most part.

I don't know how many more times I can check in before the power is totally gone...
    WHEW! May the Lord watch over everyone in your area. Especially your family.

*** Ivan reaches Alabama coast ***
    Hurricane Ivan slammed ashore early Thursday with winds of 130 mph, packing deadly tornadoes and a powerful punch of waves and rain that threatened to swamp communities from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle.
    Cal

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast