+ Reply to Thread

Thread: something that i havent experienced

something that i havent experienced

not that i can remember

6 inches of rain in less than 18 hours.

hurricane frances is dumping her rain on southeastern ohio.
    water is over my country lane in 2 places one is running 8 inches deep the other more than four inches.
    not sure the road will be there in the AM. neighbors pond is over its banks and the culvert isnt big enuf under the road to handle this much water. its probably plugged too.
    i think we are supposed to have 24 more hours of this.
    35 to 40 miles east of me they have closed the interstate due to flooding . the next county east of me is expecting the local stream to crest over 25 feet. the little stream that runs thru my property is now running 20 feet wide and 4 feet deep ,it dumps into another larger stream thats now running 10 feet and 150 feet wide.i have seen them swollen this much before but this is gonna be a mess when its done. so far i am sorta high and dry.no risk of life or limb or so i hope.
    shepp
    Last edited by shepp; 09-08-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Wow!

Shepp,
    Wow! that is ALOT of rain. Sure wish we could at least get some up here. It has been really dry the last 6 weeks or so. Had to do alot of watering. Sure don't like dragging that green monster hose around. It has gotten me to start planning the layouts for my spigots. I have alot of the black underground irrigation pipe that my friend gave me. Might as well put it to good use. Also installed 4 soaker hoses, too.
    Stay safe Shepp, and hope everything turns out alright for you.

P.S. Been missing the jokes you were sending me!
    Last edited by vicki; 09-08-2004 at 08:50 PM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Shepp,

Do keep yourself and family high and dry! Hate to hear you've floated off with the flood waters!

Rebecca

Hey, Shepp--Are the greenhouses OK? We are getting our Frances today, but not nearly all your rain. It's unbelievable, but there is still some energy in this thing. We have a steady breeze. Are your train tracks OK? Look out for Ivan.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

total rainfall 7 &1/4 inch

what a bunch of water.
    roads were closed everywhere.
    people south of me by 30 minutes were evacuated.
    my stuff is ok i dont have to water the nursery this weekend.
    i dismanteled the train track and flattened the area where it once stood.
    it will be reserected in a year or 2.
    greenhouses are ok . the smaller polycarbonate house leaked bad from the roof. i need to reseal the seams , but i knew that already.
    vickie your email addy is no good you must have changed it.

thanks for the thoughts rebecca vickie and 3girls.
    Last edited by shepp; 09-10-2004 at 03:36 PM.

Shepp,

We get those kinds of rains frequently here in the form of afternoon thunderstorms, especially in the summer. They happen more often than you would think. I know... These are tropical in nature and just something with which we learn to live.

The only difference is that we will get that much rain in 1 or 2 hours, and streets flood, yards flood, and there are a lot of wrecks.

One advantage is that the waters seem to recede rather quickly, and since the rain is over in an hour or two, all one has to do is wait it out before moving from point A to point B.

I hope no one sustained major damage. There have been deaths here due to cars being swept away into water that is too deep and rushing too hard.

In my opinion, rushing and surging water is even more dangerous than high winds, but that is sometimes a difficult one to judge.

Good news that you don't have to water this weekend.

Enjoy, my friend! Take a BREAK!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lets Trade

Shepp, that is a lot of water. Here in the deep south, close to where all the storms have been, I've been running sprinklers nearly all day, every day for the past couple of weeks. In the areas where I do not water the grass crackles when I walk on it, so dry!!

We did have a day or two of high winds, and lost a few limbs out of the trees, but that is about all. I had to go out and set a lot of my potted plants back on their feet after the wind blew them over, but I think I've got that fixed for now. I wedged the tall ones that need to be repotted down between the newly repotted 2 gal. plants. They don't really have enough elbow room like that, but at least I don't have to worry about them falling over so often.

All that may change next week with this new storm moving in what appears to be a more northwestern path.
    Last edited by Tom; 09-09-2004 at 07:10 PM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Tom,

I understand your dry between rain problems, but catch this...

It was not supposed to rain on Friday, but when I arrived home from school, everything was soaked and water was pouring down the driveway.

The awning on my bass boat colapsed, and the boat was fill with water.

What a treat, huh?

The worst that we received from Frances was a fairly steady 30 mph wind, and believe me that steady is better than those gusts that a hurricane can generate.

We are watching Ivan closely and praying very hard!

Sept. 12, 1979 and Frederick is engraved in my memory. 5 weeks without power or water, and the difference is that I was much younger then.

Keep those eyes open! Ivan is a BAD ONE!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

thanks all

everything is still squishing when you walk.
    suposed to be dry tonite and saturday. sunday lows tonite 57
    i cant imagine evacuating FLA 3 times in a month.
    they are pulling our utility crews out of FLA because of IVAN.
    all of this nasty weather this year really has me worried about whats coming this winter. i still remember the blizzard of "78"
    that was not fun either.
    stay dry if you can get wet stay cool if its hot out.
    and if you dont like the weather wait an hour it will change ,its does here.
    shepp

Shepp,

It is still hot here... 90-92 degrees for highs, and I haven't been venturing out much. Not because of the heat, but because of lack of time.

It looks like I may have to do so tomorrow, though. The projected path for Ivan keeps moving westward. Not a good thing for us.

We'll be watching this one closely!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread