+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurricane Frances

Hurricane Frances

My prayers are for all of you down there. Please, all of you, just get out!!
    With affection and concern,
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Thanks, Sandi!

Currently, we are not in the projected path, but we are watching. One never knows until it gets closer.

Right now, Florida and perhaps the southern coast of Georgia look like they are going to get hit really hard. This is a bad one. It is so wide, and I suspect that the winds will get stronger tomorrow.

They are saying that the rain is going to be heavy even here, but that is not expected to hit us until Monday. Sounds like Labor Day may be a wet one for many and a laborous one for those in Florida.

Thank, again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Projected Path

We are now in the projected path....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We are now about 30-40 miles west of the center of the projected path. It looks like Frances will take a mostly western path across Florida, then back into the Gulf. If its size remains anywhere near what it is now, the NE coast of Florida will be raked with wind and rain. The winds will be going east to west which is not as bad and being on the rightmost side of the storm which produces direct north wind and pushes the high surfs and surges onto the shore wiping out everything along the beaches.

Still, the rains and wind will be BAD!!!

If they do not change the projected path, it will come into shore a second time sometime around Monday night and somewhere near HERE.

It's a no win situation. If it goes further south in the Gulf, it will get even stronger. If it stays close to shore, it will rake NE Florida.

Right now, I am concerned about Dawn. She is in the direct path, and flooding as well as high wind is a major concern.

Gosh, I hate these things!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    http://www.thewpbfchannel.com/wxmap/971322/detail.html

My Mom is half way between West Palm Beach and Stuart.

Not sure if they will be following the hurricane with this graphic as it moves towards Dawn(in the Tampa area) but it sure does tell a story .

(the blue is water; for those not familiar with Fl that blue circle to the left of the area I mentioned is Lake Okeechobee and not part of the hurricane. That blue in the middle of the hurricane is the eye. The green and yellow are feeder bands of rain and wind. It is moving very slowly and will probably produce flooding).
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 09-04-2004 at 08:42 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    "Forecasters predict Frances will continue to lose strength as it moves west and could be a tropical storm by the time it reaches Tampa Sunday night. However, they said the storm may re-intensify when it hits the warm Gulf of Mexico waters and moves towards the Florida panhandle and Alabama on Monday."

Blog Entries
    Can't reach by phone(last spoke 6 PM Satuday); no electric since 11 AM Saturday. A little frustrating to say the least. Good message board at the local newspaper site that indicates this is widespread in Palm Beach County. Gardening to keep myself occupied while waiting.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 09-05-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Cathy,

Have you heard anything yet from your Mom? I heard one news report yesterday afternoon that said most of the phone lines and cell phones were down.

We are now out of the projected path. Thank Goodness!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Brother got a phone call from her from a briefly borrowed cell phone saying she's OK, electricity came back on last night and phone still out. Didn't hear anything about damage. Those TV news shows always have to go to the most logical place where there would be damage(right next to the ocean) and really play it up. Even most trailer parks faired pretty well but the news would hone in on the one trailer in the whole park that got damaged. I guess it wouldn't have quite the mass appeal if they showed what and how much didn't get damaged as opposed to what did !
    Anyway, it appears all is well. Thanks !

+ Reply to Thread