+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When It Rains, It Pours!!!!!

When It Rains, It Pours!!!!!

Especially HERE....

After Landspro's server outage, they set the size limits on Landspro too low, and I lost 2 days worth of email.

When I was able to get that fixed, tremendous thunderstorms came through. The brand new middle school a few miles from our house caught on fire. They will have to double up at another nearby middle school for the next couple of months.

My cable service also went down Friday night during the storms. It came up for about 2 hours, then another set of storms came through, and it went down again.

Cable finally came back up just a few minutes ago.

Indeed, when it rains, it pours, but I guess you just have to get used to it.

I'm glad to have our cable back. I didn't even know that the new school was hit until I went to Walmart this morning and was buying supplies for class. A teacher from the burned school was there and was also buying supplies. This is the school where Hunter will go next year. I rode by the school, and they are busily repairing the roof. I understand that there was also a lot of water damage from the heavy rains.

It's time for life to get back to normal!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

I thought that was "Normal", ya know, one catastrophe after another!

I don't think there has been much about this whole year that has been "Normal"! "Wacky Weather" is beginning to seem "Normal" and I don't think I'd even know what a normal day was anymore!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Know what ya mean!!!!

Ann & All,
    I surely know what you mean about things needing to get back to 'normal'. We have had NO rain here for weeks and I and my gardens would love to see it rain hard for a least a couple days!! After having highs in only the high sixties for the last week or so it finally made it to eighty today, with lots of wind. Tonight it is 73, otherwise we have been having lows in the lower 40's. Some people I know were telling me that it got down to 36 at their house about 10 miles north of me. EeeK!
    It took me a couple hours to water my gardens earlier today. I installed soaker hoses in 3 of the beds and have 3 more hoses to layout. Why oh why didn't I do that yrs. ago?
    Live and learn.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

When it Rains, It FLOODS!!!!

We have also had long periods of time without rain, but our 'normal' rainy season is back, I think....

We had a faculty meeting this afternoon, and it started storming during the meeting. When I finally made it home, there was flooding in my neighborhood. The water had receded enough for me to travel through it in order to get to my house, but barely! We had 6" of rain in less than an hour.

Sure enough, the cable was down again!!!! Hunter was already home.

The cable modem came back up just a few minutes ago.

Vicki, the weather we have had is not our norm, but this kind of downpour is. Looking at the weather forecast, it seems that we are making up for the droughts. Perhaps a good rain will come your way.

I cannot imagine it being that cool this time of the year. But then again, I cannot imagine frozen ground or a winter filled with white snow.

Different, huh?

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Rain finally!

Well we have had those few days of rain I was hoping for. Actually rain for the past 3 nights. My gardens did get a good soaking though. Seems like the rains we have gotten here in the last month, went over and around us.

Ann,
    I cannot imagine a 'winter' withouts LOTS of that white fluffy stuff we call snow. Though living so close to the big lake it helps moderate the snowfall. I can remember quite a few green christmas', though it always makes up for it in Jan & feb. Enough talk of that 4 letter word, it'll be here soon enough!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

i have had enuf.rain and more rain.it seems lately the rain gauge has at least an 1/2 inch everyday.
    humidity so high you cant breath when the sun comes back out.
    2 bands of storms have rolled thru today and it looks like 2 more before the day is over.
    every nursery and greenhouse around here sales have suffered from the poor weather this year. we spoke of early signs of winter /fall coming early this year on another thread.i do believe it is going to be a rough winter here .
    currently 78 degrees humidity 82% heat index 83
    shepp zone5/6

84 degrees here. Feels like 89. 65% humiditywhich isn't bad for here. Forecasted scattered storms, at 30% which is norm for afternoons here, but haven't seen any.

56+ inches of rainfall since Jan. 1. Only 6-8 more to meet the norm and the tropics are brewing. So, why does it all have to come at once with long droughts in between? Oh, well...

I don't know about a hard winter. I hope not...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I tend to agree with Shepp. Hard winter ahead, summer has been way cool for here. We only hit 90 once or twice. The kids haven't been swimming at the lake nearby here in about 3 weeks! Granted it is a very deep lake, but usually it's warm enough into Sept. Good thing their friends have pools, or I wouldn't hear the end of it!
    The oaks are extra loaded with acorns, way more than the last few years. Seen them squirrels, toting them off already. According to Mom, who is 73, that is a sure sign of a hard winter. Some maples in the low lying areas are already starting to turn. How strange. Burning bushes are too. We had good rain for the most part, just in the last month has it been scarce. But then that is when we usually have our hottest weather. I know some of my plants have suffered from heat stress with lack of moisture. Might have to put in an extra well.
    Livin' and learnin'
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread