+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Happy Surprises !

I love this Thunbergia... The only problem is that the stems are rather lanky, but WOW, does it multiply and the blooms are continuous. I need to figure out what to plant with it to fill in the gaps to make it more full.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's no wonder that this time of the year is so special to me...

More seedlings popping up! Sure prettier than weeds, huh?
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I found another pair....

There are quite a few chartreuse coleus in the bed that the previously pictured one is in. Today, I found a pair in another bed, and like the one in the prior pic, this one has a smaller red one right beside it.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I found this little piece of German Ivy (Parlor Ivy) that had broken and fallen onto some black plastic. It has rooted...

I found it before I found the mother plant in the pile of pots that the tree men made. The mother plant doesn't look very good right about now, but it has now been watered well and will recover.

Sometimes, I get discouraged, and I don't think I will ever get my plants all back like they were. School is so busy, and there is always something more, something else to do.

But then I find a little treasure, and I am thankful that I know how to propagate....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Fret not about your plants, they have a magical way of surviving, even when you think they won't. As long as you're able to locate them in all the debris and can water them at least once, they'll come back.

Some will require careful pruning, others may need new pots, and still others, like the ivy and coleus, will have left a part of them selves behind to insure their survival.

They will recuperate and be more beautiful than before; Mother Nature's way, perhaps, of saying she's sorry.

I've been collecting seeds from the various bedding plants and have even gotten some seeds from the few coleus plants I had in the front garden. I hope to plant them in the Spring and see what happens when Mother Nature does the hybridizing. I also have seeds from Hyssop - very fragrant plant!- and seeds from the hardy hibiscus. I ought to catalog these seeds so I know what all I do have and then try to decide which ones to grow for the gardens.

Any, Ann, your plants will come back because you do know how to care for them, even if you don't have a lot of free time to do everything at once. Sometimes you can only do what you can do.

Hugs,

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I had a good day, and I was able to get a lot of things done. Yes, I have so much more, and sometimes, it seems impossible, but getting some done is encouragement.

While I was scrummaging through the pile of debri, I found a badly smashed pot. I was in the mode of dumping pots into compost and putting the damaged pots in the trash to be picked up. I saw yet another surprise. One of my Amaryllis by bulb cuttings that is about the size of a 50 cent piece had multiplied. Not only were there two, but there were three Amaryllis in that smushed pot. The two were very tiny, but I was totally in awe.

Natures' way... We learn from nature's way. Yes, plants have a tendency to bounce back, especially after a natural disaster.

Still, it is AWESOME to see so much of that!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

More happy surprises(2005)

It is very very warm today--they predicted 70 but it is so hot in the sun it must be more than that. Not to worry it will be 50's tomorrow !
    Anyway, I 'surveyed the estate'-LOL! and discovered many happy surprises: the most HS was a Fritallaria Persicca that I planted in January 2004 ! I planted it and two Frit Crown Imperials and mourned their loss(never came up) and went on with life. And today -Voila!- there was the persicca foliage !
    Also, discovered that Rebecca's stowaway Columbine was alive and leafing out(it had been very close-in location- to a dl that I bought from her and so she sent it also).
    The ditch lilies that I had thrown to the side 2 seasons ago are coming back with a vengeance ! I'm glad cause I still have plans for them ! Other HS's -plants that I had good intentions of moving to better places and I feared for them making it til then-- that are still alive: plumbago and purple phlox.
    Many many baby dl seedlings from 2004 are coming up--can't wait to see the show in the summer !
    It is a fun time of year--kinda like opening up little presents !

"If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Aaah! Signs of spring! Wow in the 70's. Lucky you. Enjoy! Here's a pic of what I woke up to this morning.
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    ROFL! Oh, I'm sorry but I am just so tickled seeing that as I sit here in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt ! I was just getting the lounge chairs to put on the deck and sit out in the sun !

Oh, is that 85 degrees I see:

http://www.ksn.com/weather/forecastw.html
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-12-2005 at 02:14 PM.

Cathy,
    Sure hope you don't get sick, going from the 80's to the 50's. Geez, that's not how it is all the time is it? More moderate temps would be nice. But shees, I'd settle for anything over freezing to get rid of this SNOW!!!
    My birthday is the 4th of April, and only 1 time (21st b-day)
    can I ever remember us having snow. That time we did get 3 ft!!! Usually it is in the 50's by then. Although last year it did snow on the 8th, but immediately melted. Oh just a few more weeks!
    I'd probably be laughing at you, if we were in reversed locations! LOL!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Oh, Vicki!

How beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous!

Gosh! I don't know what to say. That is so very pretty. Almost makes the cold worthwhile, huh?

All we see here is dull and dead growth except for the camellias and a few other other things.

That is very PRETTY!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Actually the words to my children on the way back from an all nite lock in at school, was itsn't that the prettiest site! It hadn't been daylight very long. They all three exclaimed yes Mom! (with eyes rolling up). You see I really do enjoy the views of the very different seasons here. As you will soon see from near future photos, that all the seasons have their glory. Just get all little tired of the snow and cold, but spring is only a couple weeks ahead. I
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- As expected we are paying today for that 85 degrees yesterday. The same link above should show that we are shivering our timbers !(Look at the current conditions box though as it appears that the weatherman is way off on the predicted high--right now the wind chill is 31 !)
    Last night when the 10 o'clock news came on it was 44--down 41 degrees from the high !

Good thing it's cold out--gonna pot me up 18 pots worth of DL seeds right now !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 03-13-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Vicki,

What is an 'all nite lock at school'? Does that mean that your children did not get to come home? Oh, Gee!

Still, it is an extremely beautful sight, isn't it?

Cathy,

85 degrees? You mentioned 100 degrees last summer, I think... We are at about 75 degrees right now, and later this week, it is dropping to highs in the 60's.

You definitely have bigger temperature swings than we do, huh?

Here's our local station weather:

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin...r.cgi?user=KRG
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Lock in

Ann,
    An all night 'lock in' (literally locked in as no one leaves or comes in during this time, parents are welcome anytime) is an event put on by the PTA and volunteers for the children to come to school at 7:00 at night and stay all night until 7:00 a.m. They watch movies, play soccer, dodgeball, basketball, volleyball, read, use the library, use the computer labs, play boardgames, cards, draw, color, etc. The children are not required to sleep, but there is quiet time from 4-6 a.m. The girls and boys each have seperate restricted areas for their sleeping things and totebags, and share the common areas. Gym, cafeteria, library, computer labs.
    Our 'new' middle school (2 yrs. old) is designed like a half/wagonwheel, with each grade having their own 'spoke' (hallway). Girls were in the 5/6 grade hallways and boys in the 7/8 grade hallways. Some classrooms were open also, though not all.
    The parent club makes sure that the children have a nutritious breakfast, but there is also lots of donations of pizza, pop, juices, fruits, and other snacks. This is for the middle school students (5-8), but the high school students and other parents/adults volunteer to supervise. Becky 9th grade, Jeremy 11th grade, and Lee 2 years out of school all volunteered to help out and had a fun time too.
    Now you know all about a 'lock in'.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2