+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy Surprises !

Blog Entries

Happy Surprises !

Way way back in early spring I had bought obedient plants and black eyed susans off of, well, x-bay. They were not packed well at all and I was mifted over that but made do. Through the course of time I determined that the obedient plants had bit the dust but some susans were left. I didn't care that much about the susans cause I had others but was slightly disappointed in the loss of the obedient plants. (Now I know someone is going to say they are invasive--and I used that to placate my disappointment). I just now took a look at them and saw a green spire of flower buds. Whoa ! That isn't what BE Susans look like ! Sure enough they are obedient plants and I have several. I can't explain how a discovery like that tickles me but it does !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

They are pretty, and they are nice. I wouldn't complain about invasive, if they are pretty. Most of my invasive weeds are UGLY and become deep rooted shrubs before you know it! Some even become trees before you know it.

Obedient plant is small, and easy to pull.

I will even accept the rattlesnake plant before I accept those that become so deep rooted and hard to dig up....

Enjoy your obedient plant. I like them...

I have a vine that is considered invasive in some areas of the country. It is blooming quite beautifully right now. Huge, big, beautiful blueish lavender blooms.

If it will stop storming long enough, I will take some pictures of it tomorrow. You have seen it before...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Unbelievably I have just about killed those Obedient plants off ! I used to have a boss whose favorite saying was "all wounds are self-inflicted" and I sort of understood that saying but not completely. Well, today I understand that when you don't know where to plant a plant before you get it, stick it in a little pot or cell, if it grows it will outgrow the container and start having problems. Duh ! I couldn't figure out why the leaves were drying and the plants dying until I turned the pot upside down and saw roots galore coming out and inside all wound around. Thank goodness it is a weed--I repotted and I'm hoping for the obnoxious weed genetics to kick in. I already saw some green shoots coming up the sides.

Blog Entries
    I started this thread to express the delight of finding something unexpected in the garden.
    Here are two more fun things:

1) You all know my Easter Lily rescue story and how I have at least 40 to plant(tomorrow in fact--thank goodness the weather is holding). I also had posted about how they were starting to sprout towards the end of the summer and lamented over what to do. Here is the happy surprise: those are bonus bulbs ! The originla bulb is still tucked safely in the pot, but what I was seeing were stem bulblets often created where the stem touches the soil and many times those little buggers will 'throw a leaf' in the fall. And so, "my flower pots runneth over" with bonus Easter Lilies !

2) Next happy surprise is a Daylily seedling story. As we all know plants don't all survive transplanting. I had 2 that I was going to dig out to replace(no growth visible above ground) with healthy ones that needed a spot. When I stared digging where one had been, I saw so many roots and thought 'Oh no no, put it all back in the ground and back away'. I patted everything back into the ground as best I could and guess what...a teeny tiny daylily leaf tip is emerging thru the soil. I don't know if it will make it but I'm sure glad I gave it a second chance although I couldn't see anything above ground.

What happy surprises have you seen in your gardens this year or ever ?

To My Surprise...

I am finding many things growing in areas in which they were not planted.

I have several Purple Oxalis popping up here and there. It may be from seed, but I suspect it is from the scales that flew from crushed pots. I don't really know for sure, but it is sort of neat!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Dwarf Pear...

I planted this tree, bare root quite a few years ago. This is not the right time of the year to be spotting a new fruit growing, and it is definitely the first that I have seen on this tree.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This Used to BE...

a hanging basket of petunias.

It is now hosting a few weed seedlings and quite a few coleus seedlings....

FUN!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A Broken Branch....

How easy can you get!!!!

From one of my favorite coleus....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about !!! Great pix, too !

Found out that I am up to my eyeballs in Easter Lily bulblets; parent bulbs will be done being planted tomorrow. Next project...bulblet nursery !

The bulblets and bulbils are fun, aren't they? Little miracles happening!

I harvested some seeds from a pod of one that wasn't broken. Hopefully, I will get a chance to try them...

One of the plants that was smashed by the old pecan tree was my variegated spiral ginger. When I peaked today, I saw quite a few new little shoots coming up! I do like this plant, but it has to be protected during our winters.

Big old grin!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Also...

Although there are no pecans this year, and the leaves were mostly blown off all my trees, it looks like very early spring right about now.

The last time this happened, the next year was a bumper crop for the pecan growers.

One of my babies...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This One was Protected

from the high winds. It spent the storm inside my patio.

Buds are just now starting to show, right on tiime...

Christmas cactus (not forced for sale):
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Clusters

of these huge blooms are all over my Thunbergia Grandiflora.

It is a site to behold!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Remember

my mentioning the paperwhites?

Here's a picture, but pardon the blackberry vine. There simply are not enough hours in the day as of late... Also, as you can see, my dwarf hydrangea (once pink, turning purple) are trying to produce new leaves. The other plants are a Clerodendrum that is very pretty, but invasive. I just keep trying to pull them up, and they return....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

One of my coleus that is recovering quite well....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast