+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scraggly Tomato Plants

Blog Entries

Scraggly Tomato Plants

I have 3 tomato plants: Better Boy, Jet Star and Early Girl. All 3 are looking scraggly in the sense that new top growth has quit and what is there is turning yellow and dying at the lower branches. We have had unusual coolness and plenty of rain. Although, the top of the soil does feel dry. They are planted next to trees(uh oh) but get their fair share of sun. I had heard that the northeast was having tomato problems. Just wondering what I might do to counteract whatever is causing dying lower branches and a stop to new growth. They do have tomatoes on them but the plants as a whole seem to be fading away.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,
    Have you given them fertilizer? Maybe with all the rain, they need extra because of it washing out of the root zone.
    I'm not really sure as I only grew tomatoes last year. I only had about a dozen ripe ones and then it froze hard. They had tons of green tomatoes that never got a chance to mature enough to finish. I didn't know alot of people like green tomatoes. I'll probably find out that I could have picked them and they would have ripened!

I have a few volunteers in the compost pile, along with a melon vine. I pulled some potatoes out a couple weeks ago. I also noticed another potato plant yesterday. I sure could have saved a bundle of money by growing our own veggies over the years! It's never to late for me to start, though so that is the next 'garden spot' I am working on! I never imagined the sense of satisfaction and the serenity to be obtained by growing things.
    Here's a link I came across:
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/p...vertomato.html
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki- What an absolute gem of a find ! I love it !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread