+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the other flower in this photo ?

Blog Entries

What is the other flower in this photo ?

I know that the big yellow flower is Daylily Kindly Light but what is that other flower with the different colors in its bloom(I've seen these growing at work and I've been really curious to know what they are) ?

http://thetexasgardenfairy.gardenswe...ly%20light.htm
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Lantana

Next time you visit a nursery, ask them to show you Lantana.

That is what it looks like to me. It puts on a LOT of seeds, and many of them germinate. It can be quite invasive in the right growing situation. It is more vertical than the common little yellow spreading one that is used so much as filler in hard to grow places.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Yes, Tom, that's what it is . Looks like it is indigenous only as far north as OK not KS. And I do see it can be propagated by cuttings...maybe I'll try that for fun...hee hee

Blog Entries

Lantana makes a wonderful pot plant in the northern zones! I have grown them for years!

I have named varieties, "Burgundy", "Confetti" and "Texas (or is it Dallas) Red"! I also have a brilliant yellow whose name I have forgotten, and the following other solid colors, pink, white and lavender. The newest is a lovely green and cream variegated one with yellow blooms. The latter one actually smells good to me, all the others don't!

The lavender, brilliant yellow and the variegated one tend to grow more vertical, with not much height, while all the others would make neat shrubs if grown in a more temperate area.

I carry them over in the basement light garden, which does little more than keep them going until I can put them out in the spring, after my last frost date. I do prune them some when I bring them in in the fall, but the major pruning is done in the spring when they go back outside. Then I cut them all the way back to not much more than twigs and stubs. Within a week new growth has popped out and they are one their way for another year.

Cutting for propagating can be taken nearly anytime, but they do better when taken when the plants are actively growing. Simply snip off a 4 to 6-inch stem, dip the end in a rooting hormone and insert into moistened potting soil. Keep the medium moist and they root with in a couple of weeks, sooner if kept warm and humid (not hard at all in Central Indiana).

The only pest I have ever had on them is White Fly, and they usually show up in late January.

Re-pot to the next size large pot as needed and fertilize on a regular basis during the growing season. When the pot size gets to be too large for it to be easily moved in and out each Spring, it's time to start all over again. I have rejuvenated older plants by slicing off one inch off the root ball, all the way around (sides and bottom) and potting in fresh mix. Keep the plant shaded for several days. This works best in early spring.

There ya go! Everything you ever wanted to know about growing Lantana as a potted plant!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Groooo V ! I noticed at least 3 different kinds at work. I just love how they can have more than one color in a cluster of flowerettes !

It appears to me to be one of the Lantanas
    trader

+ Reply to Thread