+ Reply to Thread

Thread: burning bush

Question burning bush

hello all hope youre summer has been productive.

my burning bush cutting leaves are turning red,there on a mist system 10 seconds every 10 minutes in mostly shade with afternoon sun. is this a good thing or what am i doing wrong ? thanks for youre help and comments. Ron Z5

Blog Entries
    Ron- I'm inclined to say that all is about right. Recall that Burning Bush leaves are green color all summer long, then in the late summer or fall they turn brilliant red and then they drop. Barring any other signs of disease on the leaves, I'd say things are going as planned. Good Job !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Leaf drop?

Ron--sounds like your leaves are thinking about dropping.

I wish I knew how to stop that, sometimes my clematis lose their leaves, and I' ve had a lot of trouble with barberry and rose cuttings doing the leaf yellow/drop thing under mist too.

Mike McGroarty sometimes said this was a time to back off on the mist...hard to say how much mist you need under afternoon sun. I would put some shade over them myself...then back off on the mist coz you wouldn't need as much.

But then I've only done a few burning bush myself...in full sun here but my climate is quite a bit cooler most summers than Ohio...usually quite easy to root but every season brings new surprises.

I'm sure other input will be added by others more experienced than me on this plant!

Glen

your doing just fine Ron.
    mine are doing the same thing. gonna cut mist back to noon untill 4 pm with the weather the way it is right now i think thats going to be enuf for me for now.
    glenn our temps today high of 66 last nites low 56. right now its 64
    tomorrows high cloudy mid sixties
    its been a nasty year.
    shepp zone5/6

Stop thief!

Ohio dwellers--what are you guys doing with our summer weather?

At the same time, we have stolen some of yours...with records set many days, highs mid 80's and lows in the 60's, not normal for us at all. Whole spring and summer has averaged about 2C. above normal, many people would gladly take this every year-kinda like California.

Then there's the rumour of El Nino possibly setting up for this winter...always good for us (warm and dry winters)...how about you?

Glen

Originally posted by shepp
    your doing just fine Ron.
    mine are doing the same thing. gonna cut mist back to noon untill 4 pm with the weather the way it is right now i think thats going to be enuf for me for now.
    glenn our temps today high of 66 last nites low 56. right now its 64
    tomorrows high cloudy mid sixties
    its been a nasty year.
    shepp zone5/6

SHEPP, I CUT BACK ON THE WATER BUT DIDNT LIKE THE LOOKS OF THEM TODAY SO I PUT THEM BACK ON FROM 8-5 , 5 SEC. @10 MIN. INTERVALLS. ALSO SOME WERE STUCK BEFORE THEY BUDDED AND SOME WERE LAST MONTH BUT THEY ARE ALL TURNING RED,HEALTHY LOOKIN BUT RED.

Early fall?

I can't remember whether this is normal, but around here, many leaves of various plants are already starting to turn. The thing that feels strange is that we have had so much rain that nothing looks kind of dry and end-of-summerish. I'm afraid to ponder on the possibilities for this winter.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Geese are headed south already, and not just a few, but quite large squadrons! Not a good sign! I'm afraid we are in for not only an early winter, but a hard one as well. Bummer!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Weather....

All this talk about lots of rain, leaves starting to turn their fall colors and early winter sure sounds good to me! Here in Southern Oregon we are still in the upper 90's - lower 100's!!! Haven't had rain in a long time! It's hard for me to keep up with watering all my gardens!!!

Rebecca: I have lots of Canada geese flying over my property all day long, going in both directions! I know lots of them are going and coming from a small resort ranch just 2 miles down the road from me. The ranch has 2 huge ponds with dark green grass around them. Almost every day, all day, the geese are resting on the lawns! I love it when a big flock of them fly over in formation and you can hear the "whoosh, whoosh, whoosh..." of their wings! I live 6 miles outside the city, so it's pretty quiet most of the time and easy to hear this. Quite a few people around here have acreage fixed up where the geese like to go! Oh, how I love nature!!!
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

Blog Entries
    Thing is, is that I am not on a fly-way. We get the "drifters" here so they are a better indicator of coming weather. Nearest fly-way is the Mississippi River Fly-Way, sevral hundred miles to the West of me, here in the Wabash Valley Mezozoic(?)-Planes Area.

Rebecca

One of these days I have to look up just exactly what this area was in pre-history!
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    I think something is in the air in zone 6b. August usually brings multiple days of 100 plus weather but this year: zip zero zilch nada ! We've had cooler temps and rain. Definitely not the usual, and I, too, have been thinking early winter and a cold winter perhaps. I don't know what's up. I think someone on the board from Canada mentioned El Nino at one point in a thread.
    We can't go by geese either as we have year round dwellers. However, when I hear them flying overhead in the middle of the night, I know those are the truly migratory geese. No self respecting non migrator would bother to fly en masse in the middle of the night ! But People Pleaser I feel the same way...in that I love them and they stop me cold in my tracks everytime. I'll run outside or to a window to catch a glimpse ! They are awesome. Heck, I get lost in my own town. Anything that can travel that far without a map or a GPS system has my respect and admiration.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 08-19-2004 at 03:12 PM.

here is my take on the burning bush cuttings. and i dont have all the scientific mumbo jumbo.
    number one they have been severed from the plant. so they get no nutrients. so they turn red and possibly get leaf drop.
    the only thing keeping them going is mist so they dont dehydrate.
    now as far as this geese thing goes i think you are all Qwakers.
    but i also think this winter will be a tuff one.
    i have been watching trees and the squirrels are cutting hickory nuts and acorns already.
    i also saw a few of them flying south too. or maybe they were just jumping from tree to tree!
    shepp zone5/6

Blog Entries
    Shepp ! You are a hoot !

Blog Entries

OK I give..it is not an early winter...yet

101 degrees today..enuf said ! I was wrong !

+ Reply to Thread