+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Junior Master Gardener Program

Junior Master Gardener Program

The last two days were Teacher Work Days. It was fun meeting the other teachers, and guess what!?!?!

Yep, as the title of this thread suggests, there are teachers who are already paving the way to participate in the Junior Master Gardening program.

As much as I wanted to do so, I didn't get a chance to visit the garden area that is being prepared for these children. I was busy helping some teachers who were trying to get their computers up and running, and also trying to get my room ready.

I am thrilled that there are fellow teachers with enough interest to get the program started. It's especially great for these kids because they are inner city students who have very little exposure to gardening and/or farming.

Here's a link about the Junior Master Gardening Program:

http://jmgkids.com/

I do believe this is going to be one FUN year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I do believer this may be your year!

The Junior Master Gardeners Program sounds fantastic! It's a shame out daylilies need a couple of years from seed to bloom, that would be an interesting project for these children.

The thought has occurred to me, however, that you probably haves a few one year old seedlings that should be ready to bloom next season, so you might be able to do a speeded up version. You could still do the seed sprouting, planting, etc with new or saved seeds and grow them in a very bright window or under a grow light. The children could plant them out in the spring after they have hardened them off. In the meantime, you could bring a few of this years seedlings for the kids to plant out in their garden this fall, and include a couple of your older seedlings that should bloom next season. Next spring/summer when the plants bloom perhaps you could show the kids how to pollinate them by hand, and take them through the waiting process as the pods grow and develop and then harvest and after care.

Does the program begin anew each school year or do some of the programs carry over to the new year?

Everyone grows Marigolds and other annuals in these school projects. I think it would be really neat if perennials could be used as well After all, gardening is a year round pastime!

You're just going to have too much fun this school year!

Rebecca

+ Reply to Thread