+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garden Phlox - Amethyst

Garden Phlox - Amethyst

When I first saw this plant in the store, I hesitated. It is one of those plants that is marginally hardy for my zone. I don't know if that is because of the heat, the humidity or what? Finally, I bought one and decided to give it a try.

Every spring, I have watched to see if it comes back, and it has (knock on wood). When it blooms, it is very pretty. I wouldn't say that it flourishes here, but I haven't done anything special for it. It just comes back and blooms.

They say that you can propagate it from root cuttings. I hope that by now the roots are large enough to try. I plan to at least take a peak because it has multiplied.

You don't see very many in the flower beds around here. It's so very pretty!!!! I use to grow the dwarf annual types from seed, and I always enjoyed them. But how nice to have one that comes back year after year.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Perennial phlox

Ann and all-the phlox are such a blast from the past from me, everyone grew them in their perennial borders...English country type thing. Grew them and cursed the mildew every summer, beautiful fragrant bloom on white, sickly stems full of white powdery mildew!

What a great improvement these new varieties are, eliminating that huge drawback.

I got a bright pink and a lavenderish coloured plants from a friend nearby. Interesting about the propagating, this fellow is a retired greenhouse businessman, and when I indicated interest in the phlox a few summers ago just reached over and yanked out several of the "suckers" around his, wrapped them in wet newspaper and gave them to me! I was really doubtful about their prospects...always thinking watering well, dig carefully, sever any roots cleanly, etc. etc. Wonder of wonders, these plants have done great in my garden.

They are a definite asset here, along with the alstroemeria he gave us...which has been blooming like gangbusters for a couple months now.

Glen

Ann & Glen,
    My phlox are blooming like crazy, too. This is the 3rd yr. for some of my bunches, and they were a solid bright pink before, this yr. though they have a white eye. What's up with that, do you know? Like Glen says, dig the suckers up and before you know it beautiful bunch! Mine is not mildew resistant, the br. pink anyway, I have others that are. I wait until they have grown some in the spring and then thin the bunches. Works great for controlling the mildew. Also I try to not water the leaves. My Mom didn't thin hers and they have it bad.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread