+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About Blooming

About Blooming

I know this is probably a very silly question. But here it goes.

I have a Hibiscus plant, that a friend of mine gave to me. She grew it from a cutting? (I think) any way, it is only a few months old now.
    and spent most of the last couple months becoming thicker stemed. Now it is starting to bush out a little. it has about 6 stems total.
    I am wanting to take cuttings from this plant but would really like to see a flower or too before I do so!

This is my ????
    When you have a plant such as this, where should you expect to see the first bloom? Is there any way to tell?
    I was wondering if plants have a general bloom routine. For instance, do they get flowers on the tops first, or the limbs, or in the middle of the plant by the main stem?
    Is there any way to tell?
    I'm assuming that there is no particular bloom order. Is this correct?
    Really silly question, but I have never heard or read of any reports about the nature of blooming.

Kathy in Ga.

Hibiscus Blooms

Kathy,

Most hibiscus will have blooms on the tips of the branches on the new growth. However, this is not always the case. I have one that bears bloom on the stem itself.

Some of the native ones will go to seed and are very easy to germinate. Some are easier than others to propagate via cuttings. I have had the best success rate with semi-hardwood/hardwood cuttings.

Good Luck!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread