+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pesticides...

Pesticides...

A friend, believe it or not, from up north, gave me my first cannas. They were red and very tall.

They thrived and they spread with very little care.

But then, I found out about the dwarf cannas. I have collected a few (or maybe more than a few). They bloom, and they bloom and they bloom.

This year, I have had problems with some sort of grasshopper. They would even eat the face off of some of my daylily blooms.

They made skeletons out of my hardy hibiscus that I grew from seed and some that I purchased.

Out of frustration, I purchased some Bayer's systemic rose and garden care, and it seems to be working.

I surely hate to use any type of pesticide in my garden, but something had to be done.

I am pleased to report that I still have lots and lots of tiny baby lizards, and I do mean tiny. I would hate to use anything that harmed my lizards or frogs. They are my garden friends.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Tiny lizards ?! I saw lizards, and not so little, while I was in Florida. I don't know if the big lizards came from somewhere else or they are just the smaller lizards after years of growth ! They look like miniature alligators !
    Here we have toads. My dog Woof(now gone to the Rainbow bridge) was postively crazy over them. He would 'transport' them(as we described it) in his mouth from one place to another. He'd put them down and then watch them hop and if they didn't hop he'd bark at them, but he never hurt them. And yes he would drool after putting them in his mouth but that didn't seem to bother him much either. I think he thought they were his pets. He also ate grasshoppers and grubs--quite a handy garden dog ! He would also grab garter snakes and do them in--OK that isn't so good. My 'new' dog is too prissy to eat grubs and such, and she just barks at snakes.
    Something is eating the faces and leaves off my Rose of Sharon--don't see the culprit though.
    Ann- re cannas--where are the seeds ? My spent blooms have left something soft and fuzzy like paw pads but I've yet to figure where the seeds are. And I also noticed that once they flower they are very slow to flower again--should I remove the spent blooms ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

The fuzzy like paw pads are seed pods. If they mature to have viable seeds, they will crack open similar to daylilies. The only difference is that the seeds are very hard and need to be scarified.

Once scarified, they sprout and grow very rapidly.

Hopefully, tomorrow I will get a chance to take some pictures...

And, yes, it appears to me that if left to go to seed, they do not rebloom as much.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

P.S.

Maybe I can manage to get a picture of one of these baby lizards. I see them everywhere I turn. They are less than 2 inches long including those tails.

They are tiny little cutie pies...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann: I also have something eating the blooms off my daylilies, although a few have seed pods. I thought it was the earwigs that were eating the blooms, but perhaps it's the grasshoppers that you mention. It's being done late at night, so I'm not sure who the culprit is. Some of the damaged daylilies are even on the top of metal mechanic's rolling service carts in gallon pots! I also have frogs, lizards of various sizes, plus garter snakes. Now if only king snakes would come around here and take care of the gophers for me, my gardens would improve as I wouldn't be missing a blooming plant here and there! I was given canna from my FIL. The red ones disappeared to who knows where! The other ones I have are the ones that bloom orange and yellow. You're right about taking very little care, except having to be watered good during their growing/blooming cycle and they do spread very easily. Mine keep blooming as they grow taller, even having the seed pods left on them. I've collected the pods from last year, from the few plants I have, but I've never planted them again. Time just got away from me! Hmmm....I've never opened the pods to see what's inside! Do you think the seeds could be planted in the fall and let Mother Nature take care of the scarifing?
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

Linda,

The face of the daylily bloom was being eaten, and I caught the culprit in the act. He wasn't eating the petal so much as eating the color off. Thank goodness this did not happen much.

I could never find anything on the leaves of the hardy hibiscus. All that I found were skeletons of what were once leaves.

Something was eating huge holes in the canna leaves and the leaves would have a hard time opening.

As promised, this is a picture of one of my dwarf cannas with dark leaves. The flower has a dark pink cast...

It's an overcast day, and the flash went off.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is a red one with a tiny yellow/gold edge. Also dwarf and a heavy bloomer...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here is a picture of seed pods forming. Sometimes, the pods will form but will be empty. You will know if there are seeds when they turn brown and crack open. The seeds are large.

Cathy, if you sow them in the ground, they may sprout in the spring, but they may also take years to sprout. The seed coat is very hard. If you can manage to scarify them, they will sprout very quickly after soaking.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is one HUGE canna bloom. They start blooming in early spring and will continue to bloom all summer. They are gorgeous!

Sorry about the hand, but I wanted you to see how big some of the blooms get on some of these dwarf cannas. I sent outside to take another picture, but it was raining.

These were purchased bare root at Home Depot at the end of the season. You have to be careful purchasing end of the season canna. Just look for a sprout and if you can find one, plant it immediately. It will thrive...

I don't know how hardy they are. Perhaps you can tell me, but they are definitely quite hardy here.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread