+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Plastic Pots(an Inside Story)

Blog Entries

Looking for Plastic Pots(an Inside Story)

It's an age old predicament, but I took the advice of those on the Landspro board and approached a local nursery.
    I told the man behind the counter that I was looking for 1 gallon plastic pots. He led me over to the pots inside--you know what that means...big $'s ! I tried to sound like an 'insider' and declared, "No, I'm looking for pots like those(pointing to the potted plants outside); I just got in some bare root daylilies(that was my 'insider' talk). Well, it must have worked because suddenly it was like the door opened after giving the secret word and he said, "Oh! Follow me..we've got plenty of them out back". Suddenly we were on a first name basis as we were walking out the back door. He started to tell me about how they have so many pots because they propagate plants that are left over at the end of the season and how you can get numerous plants from one plant. I said , "let's hear it for propagation!"(thinking of Landspro as I said that). We then got into a golf cart and I got a tour of what goes on behind the scenes. The place is huge; they have 200 employees including 70 full time designers. Again, trying to sound like an 'insider', I mentioned something about hearing that you have to have a mist system if you are serious about propagating and he said oh yes, definitely, our system goes on every 30 seconds, etc.
    We arrived at a pile of pots. My eyes must have been as wide as saucers; I was in plastic pot heaven. He said that they onlyhad 2 gallon and up pots as they use the one gallons. Ultra heaven-2 gallon pots ! I took 15 and there's plenty more.
    Only proving that yes, it doesn't hurt to ask ! And gardeners are good folks!
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 07-27-2004 at 08:14 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy!

That sounds like so much FUN!

I have found that when people realize that you love gardening, they are extremely generous.

I remember once finding a BUNCH of unused plastic pots in the landfill. What a treat! I suppose that was my beginning.

Then I started sharing plants that I had propagated with neighbors. Many times, I would be traveling and come home to emptied pots by my back door. That treat has continued over the years.

I have recycled many pots, especially the big ones.

Good people usually do not like to trash things that they know others can use.

Stay in touch with that nursery. They sound like good friends to have...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'm going to have to go to my local pot place and get 2 and 3-gallon pots for fall planting of the seedling from last year. Only problem is they use so much more potting mix!

Rebecca

Re: More Potting Mix

Rebecca,

When I reused some of the huge containers that were left at my back door, I tried this...

Fill the bottom with pine straw. Pack it down as much as you can. Then use several layers of newspaper or paper towels to prevent the soil from going to the bottom.

Also, you don't have to fill the pot to the brim. Even with our heavy rains, I have never had water sit on top of my soiless mix in a pot with good drainage.

I use the Lamberts potting mix from Home Depot. I amend it heavily with perlite and vermiculite depending on what I am planting and the drainage needs of the plant. I purchase large bags of perlite and vermiculite for around $10 at Home Depot and even for less at BWI companies.

With daylilies, I use LOTS of perlite and not as much vermiculite.

AND as everyone knows who have visited the main Landspro pages, I use Soil Moist. I actually prefer Soil Moist over some of the cheaper brands, but I purchase it at wholesale price in quantities that will last a very long time.

I have also found that with Soil Moist, I need to get it wet and swell up first or I tend to use to much.

We get lots and lots of rain, but it comes down fast and furious. Often there are long periods in between the rains. The last couple of years, spring has consisted of drought.

Drought or no, it is humid here...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread