+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Announcement....

Another Announcement....

Yep, I have received my teaching assignment for the coming year. It is another inner city school, but this time it is a middle school. It is located very close to the hospital where I was born (and several other hospitals).

There is a nice, homelike feeling to the school, and they are involved with 'Rebloom Mobile', a project that is very familliar to me as a Master Gardener. The principal has already told me that she wanted me to help with the landscaping.

There is a small pond in one of the reading/sittng areas that is empty and in need of completion. THAT will be FUN!

For those of you that are not familiar with some of our school systems, as a new teacher, I have to be renewed every year for 3 years. I am not always assigned to the same school. Obvously, tenured teachers get the first pick.

I am pleased, though. This year I will be moving in and setting up my class before the first term begins. In fact, I will start moving in next week.

I've already decided on two of my favorite plants that will be in my new room. Now, all I have to do is decide how to decorate the walls to make it look like math and FUN!

Any ideas? I would like to have the theme of 'Math in Our Everyday World'.

Just thought I would let you know what my status is. This year will not be near as hard as last year, and I do really like the spirit and pride at this school.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

CONGRATULATIONS ANN, on your new teaching assignment!!! Sounds like you are moving up in the teaching world! Hopefully it will be much easier on you this year.

Since they want you to help out with the landscaping, would it be possible to get your students involved? You could teach them to figure out the area to be planted, tell them which plants will be planted, what size they get, high and wide and how far apart they should be planted - therefore leading them to figure out how many plants could go in that area. From the heighth of the plants, they cold figure out which ones should go in the back part of the planting area and which should go in front.

Just the first thoughts that came into my mind. When all of you get that figured out and done, would you have a field trip over here to my place and have them figure out what I should do with all my yards?!
    Linda-So. Oregon, Zones 6/7

Very good! I hope you will be happy there until you get your tenure.

Perhaps at the beginning of the year you could pose the question about how many gals. of water the pond will hold, or how many Cu. Ft. of mulch the flower beds will take. Then, during the year, demonstrate just how to compute those things.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, all! You are wonderful! I also received numerous emails with all kinds of ideas.

Isn't it amazing how much math we have to use when propagating or gardening? Or even cooking or sewing or going to the store...

Yet, it is probably the worst dreaded subject...

Despite that, it can be fun. A plus to middle school math is that there are lots of fun activities to teach the children.

A theme, a theme, I am still thinking about a theme....

I love the idea of the stars, the sun and the moon - geometric shapes.

I love the idea of triangles, squares, octagons for more geometric shapes.

Oh, and more local to us, starfish, sand dollars, sea shells, all sorts of shapes in nature.

Yep, how much mulch, how many plants in a given area, how many seeds, how many will those feed, all good questions, and if you think about it, math is everywhere. It is not just the checking account.

I am thinking really hard, and right now, they are things that will improve these particular students mathematics vocabular. It is so much easier to ask a question if you know the words to use.

It's going to be a fun year. Thanks for all of the emails and posts!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Math

I have a catalog of seeds that arrived by Jan. 1. I want a row of zinnias and a row of nasturtiums, also some peas. Whew! How will I ever figure it all out. How big is the row. How many plants can I get in that row. Peas? I need 4 servings per week for my 52 week year. Am I going to take a vacation? Hmm, maybe only 50 weeks worth. How many cups of peas to make four servings? How many plants do I need to get that many? I don't have a acre, only a backyard? Well, how many crops will I have to succession-crop to reach my goal. When can I plant them? How many days from start to finish? Same problems with how many bouquets, selling at the Farmers Market, or a CSA.

Of course, we all know the answers: Deliberately plant way too much and give the surplus away to the Food Pantry.

I have a quilt pattern. What size bed will I need to cover? How many finished squares will I need? How much fabric will I need of each color. etc, etc, etc.

I decided to build my wife the perfect compost bin. I need x number quarts of oil for my race car. How many?, where is the best price, etc.

I like the solid geometry for getting the amount of compost needed.

I buy so many plants from Spring Meadows for x amount. I can sell them for so much. There is x% failure rate. I will need x cu feet of potting soil. I spend x amount of time tending to them.

We use math so very much in our lives that not being able to do math is almost as bad as not being able to read!!

Go For It, Ann. I envy those kids having you for a teacher!
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Oh, MY!

You said it so well...

And, yet, there are very few days that went by last year that a student didn't say, "I don't need to know this stuff."

Thank YOU! Thank you all for your support...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

teach them how to make change without a computer/cash register. how to read a ruler. how to tell time with a watch that has a face. ask how many degrees in a watch face .what is the angle if the big hand is on 3 and the little hand is on 12.
    shepp zone5/6 wondering where the basics went.

You've Got IT!

Shepp,

You don't know how many times I have had someone tell me about the cash register and change thing. It is a very real problem.

You must have been reading my mind on the clock issue...

Last year, the new digital school clock in my room never seemed to work, so I purchased an inexpensive analog one for my own use and propped it up so that the children could also see it.

My new school is an older school. They do not use bells to change classes, and quite frankly, they rarely worked at my last school anyway.

I was thinking about mounting the clock I bought to a pizza board and painting the pizza board with marks that showed the degrees of a circle. I was just thinking about that this morning. LAS!

Yes, the basics that we sometimes take for granted are important for the children to master.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, Like Shepp I am amazed (and appaled) at how few people know how to count back change. I learned before computers. Sometimes you still need to do it by hand. I had to teach a girl at the grocery store the other day because she messed up and couldn't figure out my change.
    Hope you have a much better year. If I have any math problems I will let you know.
    sue
    tennessee sue

When I was a little girl, I remember being amazed when the clerk counted the change starting from the price and counting to the amount given. I remember thinking, "That's neat. It makes sense." But nowadays, they are dependent on the register telling them how much change to give.

And it works... That is called thoroughly understanding, without calculators, what giving change means. It's part of that higher level of thinking that is encouraged, but somehow being lost.

One good thing about middle school math is that it does get down to the basics, and it can be made FUN!

That is exactly what I intend to do... Have FUN!

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

School starts August 9th, here. Teachers start on Aug. 5. Hunter's move-in day is August 3rd.

This morning, Hunter ventured off to a church camp. It will be his second year to spend a week away from home. Last year, I worried, but this year, I will simply miss him.

Meanwhile, I will be moving into my new school, and trying to prepare for a new year, and a new beginning.

Summer is gone... And I am wondering where it went.

I have so very much to do, and all I seem to be able to think about is starting more seeds for next year.

LAS! Life is busy and FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    August 9th ? Wow, when does it end ?
    Here in Kansas it starts the week before Labor Day weekend and ends the week before Memorial day weekend.
    In NY, we started right after LD weekend and ended the 3rd week of June !
    Have a Great teaching Year..sounds like a good school !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I think the last day in Spring 2004 was May 24th.

Actually, teachers start Aug. 5th, and yes, that is a lot sooner than it used to be.

This year will be a lot easier than last year. Last year, I didn't even know what questions to ask. This year, I not only know the questions, but I have most of the answers.

Also, I want to check into the Junior Master Gardener program. They have one for middle school, but not for high school.

So much to do, and so little time...

It's going to be FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well....

School has started. Tomorrow will be my third day at this school (with students).

How is it?

These kids are great! Well, I do have a few that have difficulty paying attention, but these kids are wonderful compared to what I faced last year.

And, WOW! They are so very eager to learn. I think that one of the reasons they are so eager is because I keep pointing out areas of skill weaknesses that were keeping my high school students (last year) from succeeding.

I have had two very enjoyable days, and I suspect they will get better as I learn my way around my 'new' school.

BTW, this school was founded in 1954. Neat, huh?

NOW, I am a REAL teacher! My feet are beginning to be planted fully on the ground...

Bear with me... Life is going to get easier!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Great News ! I am so happy for you !

By the way, I wonder if any of the other of us 'founded in the 1950's' are wondering if that 'founded in 1954' is suggestive of the school being 'vintage' ! Say it isn't so ! LOL ! That's OK. I guess that's one more thing to get used to after being called 'Mam' for the first time 'many' years back !

Do keep us posted on the goings-on especially the Junior Gardeners ! Best of Luck in the new school year !

"If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast