+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ants

Ants

I got some ant hills to get rid of. I need an alternative to killing them without pesticides. Instead of pesticides I used to use old motor oil, it just burns them.

Im on a well system, so I dont want somthing seeping into the water supply. Any ideas out there. George.

George,

Do you know what kind of ant that you have?

We have those horrible imported fire ants. Then there are those huge black ants that I refer to as carpenter ants, but they may not be. They don't attack like fire ants, but when they do, it hurts like a bee sting. And, then again, there are those tiny 'sugar' ants that intrude into the home through the smallest crack and seek out anything sweet (especially when there has been a lot of rain). They don't seem to bite, but they are annoying when they swarm any food source they can find.

BTW, I have city water now, but I still think my well water is the best to drink. The city water is less acidic, so that is what we use in the house now. Everything outside is still well water.

Your best treatment for your ants is dependent on the type of ant. Ant bait is best. IF there is an ant bait for your type of ants.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ants

Ann, These are the plain annoying black ants. Their not a threat just annoying that I know of. I Cant cut the grass. My neighbour said he has ant hills every twenty feet right through his garden.

Ann I do agree about the Well water, It is much different, cooler without refrigeration. chemical free.
    Ive had people tell me how the city water is much better. My response is Im drinking this water while yours has to be treated cus it comes from the lake. Sometimes they put too much chlorine that the water isnt drinkable.

Ann what is happening to the message board. Not much posting as before, either everyone's enjoying the summer or the board needs more picture posting. George.

George,

I think that you have a different type of ant than the ones that annoy us here. Ours are red, and thankfully, they haven't moved very far up north. Hopefully, they cannot withstand long and hard freezes and you will never have to know about them. They have this nasty habit of signally each other when there is an attack. Your legs can be covered with them and you don't know it until one bites, then they all do. They make horrible wounds that itch like fire. Thus the term 'fire ants'.

The best type of environmentally safe ant control is an ant 'bait'. If I remember correctly, the idea is that the ants carry this bait to the queen, and the queen dies. Of course, there are other queens, so the treatment has to continue.

These create huge ant beds. Sometimes they are about 8 inches high and a couple of feet around. If you kill one by pouring bowling water or chemical over it, they move and create a couple of more. When it is really dry (no rain), they stay underground. The rain disperses them, and all of a sudden, they are all over your yard.

Amen on the Chlorine. The smell and fumes really bother me, so I have difficulty with it. The well water is indeed cold, and very sweet to taste as long as it does not go through the copper pipes. The copper pipes are the problem here, and when my home was built, they were required for under the foundation.

Our rain water is very acidic and as a result our soil is acidic. Thus the success in azaleas and blue hydrangeas (that and the humidity from the Gulf and the Delta).

Yes, Landspro is very quiet. More quiet than I like. A lot of that is my fault because I am so busy with grad work, being new to teaching and the surgery on my arm, hand and wrist is not helping.

I need to upgrade the forum software so that google will see the threads, but the crash a couple of years ago corrupted the database and until I can figure out how to fix it, I can't upgrade the software.

Right now, I just think everyone is caught up with the heat of the middle of summer.

Hopefully, it will pick up again soon.

I, for one, am dieing to get some plants in the ground so that I can make more room for propagation. Ie., I am ready for life to get back to normal.

In the meantime, I hope that someone else can answer your question about the ants.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread