+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tunderstorms and Power Failures

Tunderstorms and Power Failures

Wouldn't you know it?

They do happen and around here quite frequently this time of the year.

My old computer went down during a short power glitch yesterday, and although Windows tried to start, it failed and the system would simply reboot each time I tried.

I am now up and running on a new computer system. What a difference. The first memory bank on the old one was giving me fits, and my system was crawling.

Anyway, I lost a week's worth of work on my current grad course. I had to recreate it, but at least I am up and running.

This new system is MUCH faster, and I love the flat screen.

In the meantime, I don't have time to get the old documents, email messages and address book from the system that failed or copy from the backup disk.

I was getting so much spam that everyone kept saying 'wipe out your hard drive and start again'.

Well, guess what? I don't have to...

At least I am back up and running again!

Such is life in this world of the internet, huh? Wow! Is this system fast! What a difference!!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wiping out your hard drive to eliminate SPAM would only be a very temporary fix to the problem. Some of the sites we visit will load a very small program onto your computer that will "spy" on other sites you visit. From there other users can then begin to generate spam from many different "senders names" to your email address.

What you need is one of several programs that look for those spy programs on your computer and eliminate or disable them. "SPYBOT" is one of the programs that does this. It's a free download. There is one or two others but I will have to wait until I get back home to find their names. I have eliminated most of the unwanted SPAM using these programs, and a couple of other features on my ISP.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, Tom!

I used SPYBOT, and it worked great.

It only missed two that I know of, WEBSAVINGS or something like that. Then there was another that the SPYBOT software kept telling me to reboot to remove, but after several reboots, I stopped trying.

I now have the Norton firewall and adblocking as well as Antispam that should prevent them from ever even getting on here. If they are already on there, though, Norton however did not eliminate the spyware/adware programs even though it found them. That is when I searched and found SPYBOT.

Such a pain all of that stuff is! It's especially bad when you are on cable modem...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread