+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tomato - fruit or vegetable

Tomato - fruit or vegetable

Tomato to me is known as a vegetable. I hear that a school have taught their students that Tomato actually is a fruit. I was told its because its grown on a stem. So is cucumber, pumpkin. Is something wrong here.

Any farmers out there with a better opinion.

I might not have to go far, Ann might be teaching this.
    Just curious. George.

George,

When I was growing up, we considered the tomato a vegetable, and it is still categorized by most as a vegetable, even in the stores. But technically, it is a fruit just as a watermellon and a cantelope and many others are fruits. But it is not very sweet, so we use it like a vegetable.

In my book, it will always be a vegetable, but I keep in my mind that technically, it is a fruit.

Did you look it up in the encyclopedia or dictionary? In my Webster's dictionary (1970 copyright), it says:

"1. a red or yellowish fruit with a juicy pulp, used as a vegetable: botanically it is a berry
    2. The annual plant (Lycopersicon esculenium) of the night-shade family, on which this berry grows
    3. [Old Slang] an attractive young woman"

So, it is a fruit, eaten as a vegetable! Everyone WINS!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann.B, I guess cherry tomatoes were well categorized. I thought it was the size that got its name, but cherry does come under the fruit category.
    this is a fine line subject that can have some debate. George.

Blog Entries
    I read this thread a few days ago and here is what I noticed afterwards. In my grocery circular they advertised your choice of: Plums, Nectarines, Apricots or tomatoes with stems for 99 cents a pound. I had to laugh when I saw that and thought, Well Krogers(Dillons here) thinks that tomatoes are fruits !
    As if that wasn't 'amusing' enough we bought some of those tomatoes with stems today and they rang up wrong(by only pennies) and when the cashier tried to void and correct, they kept coming up wrong. We ended up with about 8 duplicates that had to be voided, then the head cashier came over to help and mistakenly voided our entire order ! We had to move to a closed lane while she re-did the entire order. So needless to say the mention of 'tomatoes' right now kind of makes me cringe for reasons other than whether it is a fruit or vegetable!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread