+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Althea - Rose of Sharon

Althea - Rose of Sharon

My double pink and double lavender Rose of Sharons are blooming better than ever. Today, I purchased two more colors of doubles. One is white double with a red heart and the other is a light pink double.

Here is the white double...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Light Pink One

Also with a red heart...

I can't wait to propagate all of these!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Red

Ann,
    I bought a double red one. It seems to like it where it is now. I was looking for a purple one, but had to settle for the red one. I heard they are super easy to propagate.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I checked at Lowes. The one that I call dark double pink is labeled as red double, and the one that I call double lavender is called 'double purple'.

Is your red one the same as my dark pink double? Those two are by far the prettiest doubles I have seen so far.

Niether produce very many seeds, but if you look really good, you will find the reproductive parts and perhaps, like daylilies, if you hand pollinate, you will get some surprise seed pods to try.

I plan to take cuttings in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to make a few extra! Hopefully, I won't be so busy that I don't get a chance to make shipments.

We'll see. I haven't been assigned to a school yet. They say that it will probably be at the last minute.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Mine is marked double red. The tag shows a beautiful double deep red. I don't know as yet, because no blooms. They are not blooming here yet.

I'll be sure and let you know. Hopefully I can catch a few pics when they bloom.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

red heart ROS

somewhere i read a post where they thought they wouldnt bloom the first year grown from seed.
    i can say today that they do bloom.
    then i started looking at the other 300 i started ,buds everywhere. these plants are gonna be blooming better than the stock plants that have been in the ground for 2 years.
    all smiles i am, gives me one more flowering shrub to sell at the farmers market. btw others i have seen in my travels are blooming like gangbusters in the 5 counties i travel in.
    shepp zone5/6

+ Reply to Thread