+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pink Weeping Cherry

Pink Weeping Cherry

Ok...I've been lurking long enough here. Let's see...almost two years?? You all have been a wealth of information-THANKS! I started my backyard nursery when we moved out to the country here in Kentucky a little over two years ago. Have almost a thousand or so plants in all forms of propagation and growing on. We purchased 100 weeping pink cherries, 5 footers, for stock plants and they have put on some awesome growth this spring and early summer. Now I want to take cuttings. Basically, my question is, what method has anyone used with any amount of success. I took several softwood cuttings this spring and lost them all due to the wet weather we had. Not one took. These were treated with Hormodin 1 RC. I also took some experimental softwood cuttings of our weeping white cherries and had the same luck. Then when I was pruning one of the white weeping cherries, I had several small branches that I wanted to try to experiment with. They were softwood cuttings with about an inch of previous years wood with Hormodin 2 applied and set in the shade, =peat/perlite, no mist, with an occasional drink of water. These were in propagation in the midst of all the rain we have been receiving, so I'm sure that helped keep them in ideal conditions. Anyway, every single one of them have rooted heavily and are starting to put on growth. So has anyone else tried these two trees and if so, what method worked best for you? Books say semi-ripe cutting in June. Anyone??

Brian

Cuttings

Hey Brian--nice to hear from you.

Regarding cuttings not taking, join the club. Some plants I have tried over and over (read barberry in my case) and lost every one.

I wonder how you are running your mist system? I started out with outdoor mist, using straight sand for drainage. This does work with the easier things, but your comments about a wet spring (so that's where all our normal rainfall went!) sound suspicious.

I have run the mist line under a low poly tunnel for several years now, with good success. The advantages are mainly control...control freak speaking!...I can use whatever media I wish without worrying about soggy buildup, and I can shade the cuttings evenly to allow less misting. Works for some tougher things like the clematis I concentrate on.

Sounds like the cherries might prefer a bit of a heel, maybe that would help with my barberry dilemma? Stuff that doesn't take just turns black and drops it's leaves, sound familiar?

No experience with cherries, Brian, just thought I would put in my few cents worth!

Glen

Hi, Glen!

Thanks for your reply. I have never used a mist system before, although I'm sure it would make life a little easier. We keep most of our cuttings in the shade of the pines behind the house without cover and have had good results with everything we've tried thus far. Other than the white weepers that rooted, this will be my first time trying my hand at the Weeping cherries. I just wondered if anyone else knew of ideal conditions for them. Our first ones DID fail because of rot from the base and like you said, I do believe the heel may solve the problem of taking earlier softwood cuttings. I will experiment next spring with that to get them to root earlier. I hate to take a couple thousand cuttings and have them all fail because I shouldv'e done maybe one thing different. Or just take a few hundred cuttings and have them root and then have passed the ideal rooting time and none of the rest root successfully. Always thankful for someone's few cents worth and here's hoping someone else comes along and offers additional info.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread