+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mask and vermiculite!

Mask and vermiculite!

Ann B. I just read your post about seed potting medium, mixture.
    That is good advice about wearing the mask when working with the Vermiculite.

This is to everyone...and I hope you do not find this political but merely as information for your well being.
    I found last week, doing search on the proposed landfill that Vermiculite contains Asbestos. There is a big stink going on about this in Montanna. The residents there have no choice about the air they are breathing while it is mined near their homes. But YOU do have the choice to protect your self when working with the Vermiculite!
    Please do WEAR a mask!
    I wouldn't stop the use of the vermiculite in your gardening, because it is a very good product, just protect yourself.

Kathy in Ga.

The vermiculite in question is the vermiculite that is produced and used for insulation in homes. Not all vermiculite has asbestos, and not all vermiculite insulation contains asbestos. It is my understanding that studies are being made as to which ones do and which ones don't. There are still a lot of unknowns.

In the meantime, residents who have this type of insulation are being encouraged to stay away from it and let a professional handle removal and/or replacement if they choose to have it removed.

When using any material that tends to be dusty or blown by the wind, I recommend using a mask. You don't want anything in your lungs that doesn't belong there. Eye protection is also important.

Safety first, my friends...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

EPA and Vermiculite

The following link has some really good articles about vermiculite and the contamination of the Libby, Montana vermiculite insulation mine which was closed some years ago.

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/asbestos/verm.htm#Verm

I suggest that if anyone has concerns about the use of vermiculite mined in other locations to download the acrobat files in the above site and read them very carefully. I would also recommend reading the 'what is vermiculite' section. It is very interesting and will explain that vermiculite does not use asbestos as an ingredient in the process producing the material.

In the Montana mine, it was actually in the mine itself, and thus the fibers got into the vermiculite that was being produced resulting in contamination of the product. I encourage you all to read this.

The controversy that still exists is what to do about the homes that are insulated via the potentially contaminated product being mined in Montana, and the people who have been exposed. These articles are also interesting.

For now, I am convinced that the product is extremely safe, but still encourage the use of a mask to keep any and all foriegn particles from getting into your lungs.

Thanks, Kathy. You are the second person who has mentioned this concern to me. If anyone finds any more updates on this matter, please post them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread