+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poly Grow Bags

Blog Entries

Poly Grow Bags

Hi ! What is the general concensus on Poly Grow Bags--worthwhile or not ? With an estimated 300 daylily seedlings by time they all germinate(some are grown seedlings already, some remain to be planted as seeds) I am trying to consider an economical way to get them out of community pots until their beds are ready. Poly grow bags caught me eye. If they are any good , has anyone seen them for less than 25 cents apiece for the gallon size(and outside of the wholesale to nurseries venue--since I am not one). Also, is poly grow bag just another way of saying plastic bag with holes in bottom and might I just buy a bunch of little bags and poke holes in the bottom ;-)
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

roots need oxygen....

Cathy,
    I've never tried the poly bags myself, but my mother tried them one summer. She had a couple of long ones hanging on nails on the side of her garage. Since you can't really see the soil once the plants start growing, it was hard for her to know how often to water and it was difficult for her to know if she was even getting the water INSIDE the bag. In HER case, she actually watered them too much at a time by sticking the end of the hose right up to the planting hole (she planted Impatiens). Also, the soil settled after a few waterings and the poor plants at the top of the bag were literally hanging from their necks! Even if she hadn't drowned them like she did, I don't see how the plants could have survived long without any means of getting oxygen to the roots.
    Sometimes a bargain is not always worth it...

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries
    Becki- Thank you for sharing your first hand experience--does not sound appealing ! As you might read in the other forum, I have found an oasis of plastic pots . From what I can gather poly growbags are a hydroponics 'thing'. Don't think we have any hydroponickers on the board. Thanks again.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread