+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plants for trade

Plants for trade

Hi Everyone,
    Well once again this season, have been trading plants with other wonderful gardeners.

From the few comments I've heard (from friends), it seems people doubt they will make it, to where they're going, in good condition. I can tell you from my experiences (about 30) trades, that they can and do, if packaged correctly and sent priority mail. Which is anywhere in the lower 48 states in no more than 3 days. Larger trades (5 plants or more) are more economical. Postage usually runs me from 4.00 - 5.00 per box. I can get quite a few plants in that box! I have traded with people from coast to coast and south to north.

This is a great way to share extras and expand your gardens, and meet nice people. So if anyone would be interested in trading plants for plants please contact me.
    (maybe even cuttings for cuttings )

Here's a link to my GW trade list. Check it out and maybe we can work out a trade. Thanks!

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/vicki_h

I also have some other things not listed on that page, but limited amounts (1 or 2 of something). For things on my want list please.

This would all need to be handled privately. I would need to limit this to contributing (you know the ones we hear from) members. Thanks hope to hear from you..

I would also like to send first, that way you can be the judge and send what size you think is a fair trade. , see for yourself how well they travel, and get a first class lesson on packaging live plants for shipping.
    All my plants are a nice sized division, or well rooted growing cutting, to get a good start going.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

That's a nice list! How successful have you been at obtaining items on your wish list?

I have the following Buddleias - Pink Delight, Black Knight, Nanho Blue, White and yellow. All are big enough for cuttings except perhaps the yellow one.

I think the one in my front bed is Nanho Blue, but I am not sure. I rescued it for $1, and it has grown huge. Every year, I cut it back and it just gets broader and higher and fuller. If I had known it was going to be 12' X 12' X 12', I surely would not have planted it in a 10' square bed at my front door.

The trunk is so thick, it is like a tree!

Let me know how you do, and perhaps I could managed to start some cuttings for you. It would be best to overwinter them here and ship in the spring.

What do you think?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Pink Delight

Vicki,

I took this picture for you today....

Buddleia 'Pink Delight' is my favorite!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    i replied to this but when I opened up the instant messageing, and tried to go back it was gone. Dang!

So here I go again. Beautiful picture! I would love to trade, if it has roots, that's good for me! I might even trade if it doesn't have roots! Since we send bareroot anyways. As to how many I've got off of my HUGE want list. About 30 or so. Being an almost newbie though, if I don't have it, I'll probably want to trade for it! I have a huge assortment of plants now. I would never have been able to get the diveristy I have if it wasn't for trading. Might be common to me, but not to others. I even send plants to people for postage, if they're new to gardening and don't have much to trade.
    Have you ever been to a plant swap? I haven't yet, but sure would like to go.

I finally managed to take some pictures, but posting them is another story!
    I think I'll give it a try.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Vickie,

I see you have Daylily 'Frans Hall' on your list of trade plants, please contact me via email about working out a trade. I know I have daylilies you'd like! The seedlings will be blooming in a few weeks and there will be many I won't be keeping, plus I have several plants available right now that are this year's seedlings that I won't have room for and will be getting rid of, one was or another - even a few spider crosses!

Rebecca

Rebecca,
    I did e-mail you, but don't know if it went through or not. If I sit here and think, type, think, type if I'm not quick about it, it's tells me I'm not logged in and then sometimes I lose what I'm typing! So please let me know if you don't receive it. Thanks!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Frustrating

Vicki!

That has got to be frustrating! It has something to do with your cookies. Are you set up to log on without having to type your username and password? If not, you might try that.

Also, if you click the 'refresh' button on your browser, it will keep you from timing out (while you think).

The only other thing that you could do is to type your message with note pad, word or something like that and cut and paste into the Landspro message box.

Let us know if none of those work...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Yes, I do have it set up for auto log in. This is where my browser open to. (my home page! ). It's my own dang fault with all the kids, grand daughters, and other distractions (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc)

Thanks Ann for all you do! Hope you're healing nicely.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread