+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Becky's Daisies

Question Becky's Daisies

Planted Becky's Daisies last year - great looking plants . was told they might not bloom the first year and said ok.

This year have bigger ... better looking plants but no blooms yet .. anyone else have these and are they blooming yet?

Thanks

Jim

Blog Entries
    Jim,

I am not familiar with a plant called "Becky's Daisies". What color are the flowers supposed to be and is this plant possibly one of the Rudbeckias?

Rudbeckias have yellow, Daisey-like blooms; their more common name is "Black-eyed Susan". They are summer flowering and generally begin to flower in late June in my zone and continue until killed back by a hard frost. In typical perennial fashion, they begin to bloom the second year from seed.

There are many Daisey-like flowers and it would be difficult to determine if your plant has a problem without knowing it's Latin name. Common and Regional names can be very misleading.

Perhaps if you could post an image or a concise description of the plant and it's habits someone could take an educated guess.

Rebecca
    Last edited by Rebecca; 05-13-2004 at 07:07 PM.

shasta daisy 'Becky'

Hi All,
    Had to jump right in with this (I don't get to do it to often I'm in zone 5 and my Beckies are not blooming yet. This is only my 1st yr. with established plants so don't really know when they bloom here. I'm thinking june-july here.
    The leucanthemum x superbum like full sun in most areas, part shade where summers are hot and dry (Is that you Jim?): doubles do best in part shade. Deep, fertile, well-drained neutral to alkaline soil,moderate moisture. Hardy in zones 4-9.
    Plant container grown plants in spring, spacing 2 ft. apart. Divide every other year in early spring. Deadhead regularly or cut back after first flush to promote reblooming. Mulch over winter in the North. Stall tall cultivers with rings. Short-lived in winter wet soils. Aphids and verticillium wilt troublesome. Cultivars in 'Alaska', 'Becky', 'Snowcap', etc.
    Hope this helps.

P.S. Forgot to mention this info comes from my Better Homes and Gardens, New Complete Guide to Gardening. I love this book.
    Last edited by vicki; 05-13-2004 at 09:50 PM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Well dern, I was so hung up on "Becky", I didn't even think about Shasta Daisies! Maybe I spend too much time with my daylilies. . . . NOT!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

that be the ones and ty!

Thank u for the replies and yes they are the shastas.

Plants are about 2' tall now very green and full but no blooms. Spoke kindly to them last year but they will bloom this year or go to that big compost heap in the sky.

My regular shastas are producing like crazy .. in fact everything I have is doing well this year. No real pest to fight and only a little problem with black spot on some of my roses.

Would be nice to live in a climate like we have been having the last few months but summer is coming and the heat and lack of rain will begin to tell on the plants. Then gardening becomes survival of the fittest.

Found roses and antiques are trying to outbloom each other and we are enjoying them a lot.

thanks again for the replies,

Jim

+ Reply to Thread