+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Watermelon planting(spacing?) in the home garden....

Blog Entries

Watermelon planting(spacing?) in the home garden....

I mention "the home garden" because I'm not set up to plant like a farmer. I have 29 young Bush Sugar Baby** seedlings(would have had 32 if I was paying attention when I opened the window and knocked a tray off the windowsill). Each seed was planted in its own cell so there are no weaklings. I want to conserve space in my garden area. I thought it would be easy finding this info on the internet but it wasn't. I had a vague recollection about planting them in hills(x number of seeds per hill) but couldn't find that.
    I'm trying to figure out how to plant them as close as possible and as many as possible. Help ! I'm hoping for some advice on planting 'arrangement' as I plan to plant very soon.
    Thanks, Cathy
    **These are supposed to be space saving bush type vines that grow 3-3.5 feet long and bear 2 fruits each.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 05-08-2004 at 08:45 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I have grown the sugar babies for Hunter. They are FUN! The first ones to ripen are larger, but the later ones tend to be about the size of a softball, as opposed to a baseball.

I have not grown the 'bush' type or at least I do not think I have....

In any event, they usually take more space than you think. You can make a trellis for them, but as they ripen, you will need some sort of support. Some people use panty hose to hold them on the vine while they ripen.

I have spaced them 3 or 4 feet apart, but believe me that you have to be careful where you step because they sprawl all over the place.

I don't know if that helps, but I thought I would try....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread