+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HOW to REMOVE Seed Coats STUCK on Cotyledons

Blog Entries

HOW to REMOVE Seed Coats STUCK on Cotyledons

I kid you not. I have some hollyhock seedlings with the seed coats literally stuck with the cotyledons trapped inside. Some of my watermelon seedlings have experienced the same but are better at rallying.
    Some hollyhock sedlings are just flopping over and langusihing. I tried misting them to soften them up but that hasn't worked--in fact I think one has perished from damping off diseas and I'm about to just chuck them all cause I can't afford to expose my other plants to it.
    I will also tell you that I have some bad hollyhock karma--I absolutely cannot successfully grow hollyhocks, so this seed coat stuck on cotyledon problem may just be part of a larger hollyhock growing problem.
    Any suggestions on getting them unstuck ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

My grandfather used to just take out his pocket knife, dig a narrow hole and put the watermellon seed in it, then tamp down the soil. It would nearly always grow.

Perhaps the problem that you are having with your seedlings is that they are not planted deep enough and are in soft soiless mix. That is the down side of soiless mix. The seedling has no resistance which helps to rid of that seed coat.

Give your seedlings time, and they should shed the seed coat when they grow big and strong enough. Make sure they get enough sun. Watermellon needs warmth and LOTS of sunshine and water.

It gets rather warm here for hollyhock, so you don't see very many of them around (if any...)

Cool temps at night can cause problems with 'damping off'. Once the fungus is there, you need to toss the soil mix and all.

Hope that helps!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wow ! I would never have figured out the significance of the growing medium. You are so right; it is soiless mix ! And it all makes sense now !
    Thanks
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread