+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honesty

Blog Entries

Honesty

Commonly known as "Money Plant" and you thought I was posting about character!

Has anyone ever seen or grown any color other than the typical lavender form that these are known for?

I started out with just the lavender form a few years ago, then last year a few white flowered plants showed up, but not near the "normal" forms. So I chalked it up to soil differences. Well this year I have not only the lavender and the white in the same area, but a deep burgandy-purple as well. I let only a very few seeds mature on the plants, the rest are kept removed. I have one white that has appeared agin under the forsythia, so appearently it grows true from seed and I am hoping the dark morph will also.

I am adding an image of the dark morph and will do a new post of the white one.

In put from others with similar experiences would be apprecialed!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

WHITE FORM

Here's an image of the white one:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

Money Plant

Yes, caught me with the 'Honesty' heading !
    Again, I feel like I'm late to the party..I have money plant seeds but haven't planted them yet. Is this the plant that makes those shiny round disks ?
    Boy, I'd better get a move on with planting seeds. (Indi must be warming up faster than KS) !
    Will report back with color results !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

LOL!

Yes, Indy is warming up pretty quick this year. Spring was three weeks late last year so guess Mother Nature is making ammends!

"Honesty" aka: "Money Plant" is the one whose seeds are shielded by those shiney round disks! They are a biannual, so they won't bloom til next year, and you have to plant every year to have blooming size plants available for retail sales. It is a true biannul too as it does die after the second year. It does make tons of seeds and unless they are removed, it will reseed itself quite abundantly!

I was able to get an image of the lavender one and an image with both the lavender and the magenta (purple) one growing side by side. I'll attach it on a seperat post and the lavender one with this post (I really need to get with it and get these up-loaded to my album!)

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries

OK Folks, attached is the image of both dark colors side by side and you've seen the white one. Now, has anyone else every seen these colors available anywhere?

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Wow!

Rebecca,
    Wow, I've seen lots of lavender/magenta Money plant growing in people's gardens here in Ohio over the years, but never the white! I also have never seen the plants anywhere for sale, only the seeds.
    That doesn't mean the plants haven't been for sale around here, just that I've never seen them and I visit lots of nurseries. I would think they would make an interesting container plant as well as a great naturalizer; both colors!

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries
    Naturalizing would probably be the better treatment of this fascinating biannual. They really don't make a good pot plant, unless you are using a very large pot!

As a biannual plant I don't think there would be that much commercial value in mass production. They make their initial growth the first year from seed, bloom the second year and then put all their energy into seed production. Once the seed has ripened, the plant dies. Seeds fall, sprout in the spring and the whole two year process begins again.

I am thinking the white morph will grow true from seed. The original white one bloomed under a forsythia bush with no other plants even close, There were no flowers last year, but several nice. small plants did come up. This year there are several white flowering plants under the forsythia and no other colors.

Would you like me to save some of these seeds for you? One plant can produce enough seeds to sow an acer!

Of course, I won't guarentee the resulting seedlings will produce all white flowering plants. LOL!

Rebecca

Sure!

Rebecca,
    I'd love to have some (both colors).
    I was going to ask you about something. We throw lots of 4 and 6" pots away at work that might only be bent a little around the top rim from shipping. Would you like me to save these for you this season and mail them to you later this summer? We also throw tons of plants away that might not have gotten watered or whatever. I always save these pots too (just can't see throwing them away) and I only use a few every year. If so, I'd be happy to exchange daylily starts or seeds for them. Let me know!

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Blog Entries
    Becki,

Thank you for the offer, but shipping on them would be outlandish. I have a local Nursery/Landscaping firm I've been able to get pots from so I'm actually in pretty good shape in the usable pot department. You might need those pots yourself one of these days! Especially with the way you lkike to rescue plants!

Rebecca

+ Reply to Thread