+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My little nursery , part #2

My little nursery , part #2

Weather forcasters obviously cant be believed.
    yesterday morning forcast, saturday wasnt to get over 60. and be overcast.
    well it cleared up and the sun shined.
    i was away digging a ditch with my mini backhoe .when i got back
    about 12:30, due to the forcast i didnt open the doors on the greenhouses before i left as i usually do, i stopped my truck before unloading and went to see how things were doing.walked in and uh oh. 100 propped open the door, intake vent was open as it should be. and opened the exhaust vents with bungees straps. this lets it vent much more with out the fan running a lot. almost all of the hanging baskets were wilting.i knew i had to water but now it was an emergency mode i was in.
    went to the other house and opened that door and removed the shutters from the vent.
    youngest daughter was jabbering about buying another car.
    wanted me to look at it right then. .
    priorities are the greenhouses right now.
    said sorry i gotta grab a sandwich and get busy watering plants right now the car can wait.all the while walking briskly past her and into the house to the fridge to make a sandwich.
    she knew i had troubles and understood.
    nows when it gets worse.
    as i reached for the fridge door i flipped on the kitchen light.
    it went out. then after a few seconds back on. right back off.on off
    i thought no way its a beautiful day. the power was out.and i knew it was going to stay off for a while.
    grabbed the cell phone and called the power co. dispatcher nope they didnt see any thing wrong with the power grid.
    so i called the other dispatching group. nope nothing.
    i told them well folks there was problems the whole area was out of power. i work for them so i knew what was up. get somebody on it.
    in the mean time i am thinking no power no water no vent fans running. made a sandwich in the dark .headed back outside and
    unloaded the kubota hmm garage door wont open ,jerked the safety on it ,opened the door. rolled out the generator, loaded it in the front bucket lifted it up and its so big and awkward it falls out.onto its side. i thought self thats not good.
    reloaded it and drove it to the garage ,pulled on the starter rope a couple of times wont start. turned on the gas.pulled the rope several more times doesnt start. hey bozo i said to myself turn on the on/off switch.pulled the rope. i am smiling started the first pull.
    ok maybe the fifteenth.
    plugged the cord in for the vent , thats working fine.
    plugged in the pump cord for watering ,that doesnt work fine.
    i guess its one or the other.
    ran the vent while i hooked up the hoses and got the bucket of fertilizer mix , set that up, unplugged the vent plugged in the pump and started watering 300+ hanging baskets.
    and i blamed it all on the weather forcasters
    sure am glad i didnt have to use a sprinkling can.

the joys of raising a little backyard nursery.
    shepp zone5/6 last nites forcast was for a low of 40 .its 60 this morn. i made sure the heater would work last nite before calling it a day. just cant trust them!!!

BTW maybe you can guess

the power came back on right when i finished the last basket.

Hey, Shepp!

I am so very glad that you made it through all of that....

Does your camera still work? I would love to see pictures of your hanging baskets.

I have learned so much from all of you up north. This spring, I truly enjoyed several varieties of Weigelia. Hey, and guess what? They even do well in full sun. I have a variegated one in part shade, and the foliage is beautiful, but I think it would bloom better with more sun. When I planted it, the neighbors pine tree was not quite so large. Pine trees do grow fast here!

Hang in there, Shepp! I don't know how you do it with a family, a job that makes you work overtime. Determination... That is KEY!

Keep that chin up and keep on SMILING when the chips are down.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoops!

I almost forgot!

We actually got a little over 1 inch of rain last night.

Wow! Does that make my life easier....

Even the weeds were beginning to die! LAS! I'm as serious as I can be!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shepp,
    Boy somedays stuff just keeps on happen'! Hope everything turned out alright. I just knew you were going to say the power came back on as soon as you were done. How much do you sell your hanging baskets for? Heard meijer's advertisment 11.99-17.99. That'd be a nice chunk of change for 300+ baskets!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

vickie
    i wish i could get that for them!
    10 and tax is what i sell them for.
    camera still works my brain doesnt.
    i tried to post some amarylis pics and wasnt succesful. brain dead.
    i will try again.
    shepp
    i always keep pluggin away. dont know any thing else but PERSISTENCE TO RESISTANCE.
    or i am just bullheaded

the SAGA continues

i got my exercise last nite.
    carried potted perennials into the cold frame hundreds and hundreds.carried evergreen type shrubs out to make room.
    then got the white plastic back out of the potting shed and we stretched it out and put it back on the cold frame. what a job.
    forcast last nite was 38
    and today it was snowing raining sleeting ,hailing along with really cold winds. and ice chunks too.
    tonite is 28 for the low. i gotta get better at planning.
    sunday i took almost 300 daisies coneflowers ornamental grasses out side . and monday i was carrying them back in the potting shed for a 2 day stay over.
    i did it too make room for the hanging baskets they are getting big! i gotta get a bigger GH. i need more room or its time to quit the HB growing.
    later folks i worn out.
    shepp time 4 ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzone 5/6

I'm feeling a little brain dead myself...

These graduate courses combined with poor student behavior during the last 3 weeks of school is draining me!

Freezing? I would be panicking about now...

Hang in there, Shepp! I am impressed!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

farmers market

starts tomorrow here!
    truck and trailer is loaded.
    sure hope it doesnt rain.
    sunday nites forcast is for a low of 37
    gonna have to cover the coldframe again sunday.
    dont want to take any chances.
    i noticed last monday a local grower had six coldframes covered.
    they have the personel to do it.
    shepp zone5/6

Oh, My!

We are baking here in the lower 80's, but it's nice. Lows in upper 50's and lower 60's.

Like I said, I won't complain about the rain. We have finally gotten some....

Hang in there and Good Luck, tomorrow!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread