+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iris came up too early

Question Iris came up too early

Hi,

I planted a bunch (100 or more) non-bearded iris in my backyard in autumn. We had some warm nice days earlier on and the iris started to come up before the hard frosts were over (our last frost is May 15th). They now look like green shoots that are white on top.

Does anyone have advice for what I should do? Cut them off? Leave them be? When should I expect them to bloom?

My crocus have already bloomed, and my tulips have buds with one small group fully bloomed

Thanks,
    --Hilary

Blog Entries
    Hi ! I live in Zone 6 and just got done pulling mulch away from my iris this morning, so I'm thinking irises right now.
    I'm not sure what iris you've got there if it's beardless; perhaps Siberian or Louisiana or Japanese(although they are supposed to bloom after the TB's(tall-bearded). Are they Dutch 'iris' ?(my Dutch 'iris' produced shoots early on and are kinda duddy right now--I think that maybe the bulbs need to get bigger and they might bloom next year--but they sure did come up too early) .
    I've noticed iris in bloom here and am not sure what kind they are--I've been wondering--they aren't Dutch.
    As for your question, there isn't anything you can do--it's a good sign that you've got green---white tips you can live with.
    Again, I'm not sure about other than TB's but with them you have to make sure that the rhizomes receive light which is why I was busy pulling away the mulch this morning(But I've PASSED MY LFD of April 15th). So, keep them mulched until your LFD of 5/15.
    I'd say be encouraged that you still have green and have faith in the surprising restorative powers of mother nature.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Yes, I do have dutch iris. They are one of the flowers I had in my wedding last summer.

After looking through some pictures posted on-line, I think only the leaves have poked up through the ground. Hopefully this means the stems are yet to come. The information that came with the bulbs I planted indicated they were and early spring bloomer, so I thought they would bloom at the same time as my tulips. I know some bulbs don't bloom well their first year.

I will be disappointed if they don't come up. I planted a whole hill in our yard with flowers in the fall. It's been great watching them this spring with so little effort. Unfortunately, I plan to move over the summer, so this is my only chance to enjoy them personally.
    --Hilary

Blog Entries
    Ah Ha ! Dutch Iris ! We'll you're in good company. Mine came up way early--just leaves and now look like they don't know what to do next. I bought the bulbs on a whim--actually on a sale-same thing--LOL! So, they we're probably already sprouting and as I recall small but worth a shot. Unfortunately, I think they won't bloom this year and I also need to get them more sun. Good Luck ! Glad to have you on Landspro.
    P.S. I used to live in Granville,OH
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries

Worry Not! my young gardening friends; dutch iris foliage is tough! I've had foliage on a few of mine since last fall!

The Dutch Iris bloom in late May to late June, so you haven't lost the blooms or missed them. Most of my DI's bloom in June, a few of the dark purples will bloom the end of May.

Here the crocus are long gone and the early daffodils are finished, the mids are in full color now and a few of the late species and small flowered narcissis are just now starting. About half of my tulips are done in, thanks to the unseasonably warm days we've had lately, but others, mostly purples Darwins are just now starting to open. They are all very old bulbs and it always surprises me that so many of them still manage to produce a flower, albeit a small one.

The Bleeding Hearts are starting to bloom now and will be joined by the Columbines in another week or two. I've seen bloom heads forming on the self blues, the blue and whites and the yellow ones, all are two and three year old plants. The younger plants will start to flower a couple of weeks later, in time to try to take some of the glory away from the Clematis.

Happy Gardening!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh!!!!

I do like that one, Rebecca! Is it in bloom now? Do you know the name?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Ann,

Yep they are blooming now! I want to say it's 'Easter Bonnet', but I also have another pink cupped one - it's in bloom now too! Of course, I can't remember it's name, and I'm also thinking EB has the large trumpet and not the small cup. It's aweful gettin old! CRS!

I'll attache an image of the other pink one, just took new images of all the ones in bloom today, gonna create a few watercolors with the better images! It isn't as pink as the other one though.

Somewhere around here I should have a couple of old Dutch Gardens Fall Catalogs and I'll find them one of these days and will be able to tell you the names of these pink ones.

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread