+ Reply to Thread

Thread: White latex paint on a nut tree ?!

Blog Entries

White latex paint on a nut tree ?!

We just got an almond tree. I’ve been trying to find planting info. on the internet and have seen, more than once, the recommendation to ‘paint’ the tree with white interior latex paint(one source says dilute with water) to prevent sunburn. Eek ! Is this OK ?
    Thnx.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I've seen it done on peach trees. Supposedly, it reflects the sunlight. In below freezing weather, when bright sun shines on frozen bark, it can cause splitting. I don't know how necessary, or true it is, but that's the explanation I was given.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Painting Trees....

I haven't done a lot of research on this, but it used to be a practice here. It no longer is, for whatever reason...

There seems to be up's and down's about this practice, but from what I can tell, most people simply do not do it anymore here.

I don't, but that is my decision.

It's up to you!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well my husband has claimed ownership of the almond tree and I have relinquished 'control'-LOL ! Sounds fair to me since I've laid claim to all the other plants and he concurs. I did at least manage to prevail and keep the graft portion above the soil ! The advice also calls for cutting the tree to about 24 inches-- no painting and no cutting--'taint gonna happen on his watch ! That's usually the way with couples--one's an instruction reader and one's a seat of the pants as you go person. (gee,guess which one I am). We actually did manage to put together a home gym as a harmonious team several years ago !(Probably I read the instructions outloud while he ignored me). I might be surprised at how the tree turns out after all !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

When I was younger, I always referred to this as 'white washing'. I don't think there was latex paint at that time.

I wouldn't think that it would hurt the tree, but you just don't see it in the orchards anymore around here.

I don't know about almond trees, but in Master Gardening, they taught us to prune the main central branch of pear trees. Pear trees have a tendency to have too many branches growing upward, and I believe this is to add strength and added sun to the individual branches. They will then tend to grow more 'outward' rather than 'upward'.

Pecan trees are never pruned. They are fast growers, dropping branches all year long, and the wood is soft and brittle.

Have fun with your Almond tree, but do be patient. It takes many years, sometimes 10, before you will get a 'good' crop of fruit and nuts from a tree.

Enjoy! It sounds like a good step forward for hubby to get interested in gardening.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread