+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Light Frost - Microclimates

Light Frost - Microclimates

We must have had a light frost in the lowest part of my yard. My pink Brugsmansia had popped up about 6 inches and, today, the huge leaves are melted.

We only were supposed to have gone down to 40 degrees, but these particular plants on in a low ditch type area that my neighbor dug to deter water from his home.

Oh, well! I do believe they will perk up, but I will be making cuttings and placing them elsewhere. They like the water, but not the deep cold.

One thing for sure, if plants are easy to start from cuttings, you can learn a lot from trial and error as to where they do best in the landscape.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

frost

Ann ,
    Here in Tennessee its back in the low thirtys at nite again after several 70-80 days.I use low tunnel houses made out of concrete wire covered with layers of 6 oz. frost blankets.I can cover or uncover in a matter of a few min.I can't believe how well these have worked.My buddleias have never lost there leaves this winter and the hydrangeas are also looking great.The previous year I lost my entire crop of over 300 buddleias,had to start over.I tried growing them using a wind break and a thick layer of straw.I lost about 98% of them with split stems.
    I'm aready selling well this year.I feel this is going to be a good year.I start each year off selling creeing phlox.I dug 100 clumps this year and am 75% sold out in one week.I've added picture plant tags this year a good investment at .007 each,they really help sell the plants.
    Thanks,
    William B.

William,

I have fallen for the frost blankets. They work great!

What a great idea to use concrete wire!

I have some plants that are marginally hardy here, and they do fine for most winters. In fact, they do great most years with no protection, but there is always the threat of that record low and those late frosts.

Next year, I will know to protect these during late March lows with frost cloth. This particular variety blooms rather late, and keeping them a little warmer in late winter would probably help them bloom a little earlier and prolong the blooms.

I checked this morning. The stems are fine. It is just those big leaves that melted.

Thanks for the ideas!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and All,
    I had another great sell today thanks to my to my frost blankets and concrete wire.My plants are about 2-3 weeks ahead of previous years.
    I use 6' rolled woven ground cover.I cut the concrete wire in 7' 6" lengths and bend it to to fit in the outer lines of ground cover.this way they are all the same fits good and looks good.I buy my frost blankets in 6 oz. 12'x 300' rolls.I cut the excess off of one side and use this for small perennials and such.I just wish they were a little taller at times.The plants I put in there in the fall grew during the winter and some try to poke thru the openings when the covers are removed on a warm day.
    I'II be adding some more of these for next winter.Also I know a good source for rolled ground cover and frost blankets if anybody needs them.2oz.12'x300' is 100.00 a roll.4 oz. 12'x300' is 120.00.6oz. 12x 300' is 160.00.
    Rolled ground cover is:3'x300' is 25.00.6'x 300' is 50.00.10'x300' is 84.00 and 15'x300' is 125.00 per roll.Plus you'll add shipping,some can be U.P.S and the larger sized has to be shipped common carrier.
    Thanks
    William B.

+ Reply to Thread