+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mystery Flower....

Mystery Flower....

Anyone want to guess what this is? I don't know, and the line was too busy to ask. I think it is really pretty, though.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

Ann,
    That, my friend, is a "Martha Washington" geranium. The following text is from New Leaf Nurseries:

http://www.newleafnurseries.com/pela.../reglinfo.html

Regal pelargoniums are also known as Martha Washington geraniums, Lady Washington geraniums & show geraniums. Botanically they are P. x domesticum. They have large azalea-like flowers with dramatic colors & patterns–some are so dark as to appear black. This is where you'll find truly purple flowers among pelargoniums.

Like other pelargoniums they require the same 5 basic cultural needs (see the pelargonium info page).

Regals tend to be spring blooming, although many modern hybrids have increased remontancy (rebloom), with scattered bloom into early fall. For best bloom it is important pruning be done in the fall (not spring) & that the plants have winter nights in the 40°-50° F (4°-10° C) range to set flower buds.

Optimum pruning is done in 2 steps. Prune all stems back to 3 good leaves around Labor Day (beginning of September in the Northern hemisphere, beginning of March in the Southern hemisphere) to stop terminal growth.

About Thanksgiving (end of November in the Northern hemisphere, end of May in the Southern hemisphere) you will see a lot of new basal growth. At this time you can prune the long rambly/scrambly stems back to the new basal growth.

Regals grow well through the winter months in mild climates where the nights tend to be in the 40°s F (5°C-10°C). In these temperatures they are stacking-up lots of flower buds, typically to begin blooming in late March to April (September/October in the Southern hemisphere).

Regals are a bit more cold tender than zonals & ivy-leaved. They are best protected from any frost. Some cultivars once well-established will survive a light frost, but unless you know which (& I don't), keep them protected.

I have a very difficult time trying to grow them, but I have seen some very well grown ones over the years and they are a beautiful plant to behold!

Rebecca

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks, Rebecca!

The picture that I took was at the ticket booth at Bellingrath. There were many of them, and they were gorgeous.
    I felt like they were in the geranium family, but I couldn't remember where I had seen pics of them before.

This is the first time that I have seen them in person, and I must admit, THEY ARE GORGEOUS!

The seeds also tend to be very expensive from what I have seen.

One day, maybe I will try some....

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread