+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring BREAK!!!!

Spring BREAK!!!!

Hi, Everyone!

I don' t think I have ever appreciated spring so much before. My graduate course is over for now. Another starts in a week. I have a week off from teaching, so Hunter and I have big plans for this week. I hope to spend a day at Bellingrath gardens. It is beautiful this time of the year.

Azaleas are in bloom everywhere. What a treat left for us by an avid garden enthusiast many years ago! If only he could see it now! The city is lit up with color everywhere.

Dogwoods are in bloom. Redbuds are just now dropping their blooms. My lilium are popping up everywhere. Daylilies have full leaves, but no flowers yet.

Viburnum (snowball bush) are blooming. Rose of Sharon's are sprouting leaves. So is just about everything else, except my pecan trees which are always a little late.

Camelias are still in bloom which is a treat considering that the azaleas are in such glory.

Oh, and let's not forget the bridal wreath! Mine is almost fully bloomed. It's not unusual to see the hot pinks, reds, purples, whites, oranges, etc. of the azaleas alternated by bridal wreath in the landscapes.

My Easter lilies which are still in pots are now about a foot tall. Some other liliums that were protected in pots in the temporary lean-to are forming flower buds.

The liliums that are still in the ground are just now started to peak out above the surface. They are about 2 inches tall and looking healthy.

My clematis cuttings which are now well rooted are still in pots and growing leaps and bounds. The first Clematis flower to bloom this year was ASOA or is it AOSA???!!! Anyway, I have a pic and will post it later.

The other clematis are loaded with flower buds, but still small plants. I do believe they like it where I have them, so despite the birds depositing privet seeds by the 1,000's in that location, I do believe I will make a raised bed there with small arbors for my clematis vines.

I have lots of bulbs like Dahlia, Calla and Gladiolus that were dug and taken indoors in a cool location for the winter. I will start planting those this week.

Spring, Spring, Spring! Oh, and the dwarf canna's are now 8 inches tall, and I started some coleus seed from the sun loving coleus today.

Call it SPRING FEVER in a BIG WAY!

I have IT, and I LOVE IT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    I love hearing about what's in bloom down your way. Things are just now waking up here. I got my first flower yesterday, a purple crocus. I don't remember planting any crocus. LOL! I see new growth everywhere. Worked for 4 hrs in the yard today, it was beautiful. In the mid 70's and sunshine.

Filled 14 big bags with oak leaves. Probably got about 1/3 of the way done. Hard to estimate as large portion is flower beds , which takes longer than lawn area.

My pond will take some time to clean out as it is full of leaves.
    Not to mention the rocks the children thought it was fun to throw in!

Enjoy your spring break!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki,

I actually swept (with a straw broom) privet seed mixed with pecan leaves from the top of the landscape fabric in my propagation 'holding' area. I had a large trash bag full of seeds and what is left of pecan leaves. Pecan leaves decompose and break down much faster than oak leaves.

Are your oaks evergreen or do they all lose their leaves in the winter? Ours tend to keep most of theirs, but lose some. The seeds sprout all winter long, so I have been busy pulling up the ones that are small enough. Those that I didn't manage to get up last year will have to be dug up, but I have to do that with care because they are near perennials and shrubs.

It was 80 degrees today... Not that bad, actually, but time to get a sun burn if not careful. April is usually the first time of the year for all of us to get that first 'red face', but this year it's happening in March....

Oh, and if we don't get those afternoon thunderstorms scheduled for tomorrow, it looks like we'll be having another spring drought!

I have been doing a LOT of watering today. I do not intend to lose anymore plants to these spring droughts. Seems strange... I always thought of spring as being a rainy season, but the last few years, it has not been!

Enjoy those 70's.... Those are the really nice days. Actually, we are having lows in the 50's which isn't bad. It's just that mid-day heat that I tend to avoid.

I do believe that Spring must be my favorite time of the year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Red Bud

You mentioned Red Bud in your post. It just happened that I got a couple of really neat shots of one this season. Thought you all might enjoy a closeup.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Neat!!!

That is really a closeup!

I noticed that the buds are all along the big branches of my neighbor's tree. I don't have one, but I have read where Malcolm and others collect seed for them, so I should be on the lookout.

Thanks for the pic!

That is NEAT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Redbud....

I haven't learned how to use my new camera very well, but I was playing around with the zoom on this one.

My neighbor's redbud from about 200 feet away....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann & Tom,
    Sure do love those red buds. I received some in a seed trade I did, hope to someday have one. Maybe I can trade for a small one this year,too.

Thanks for the pics.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Beautiful images of the Redbud trees; mine won't be in flower for several more weeks.

The crocus have just about finished and now the early daffodils and silica are in colr. My one lone English Primrose is really blooming now, the few days aof warmer temps really pushed it along.

New Spring Blooms have been added to the "Watercolors" album and I have a few to share that are 'normal', hope you enjoy seeing them!

One last image for this post:

Happy Spring, ya'll!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Beautiful pics as always.
    Ann, I think all of us plant people love spring. All my favorite flowers are spring bloomers.
    Did you guys know redbud blossoms are edible? Pretty in salad
    or on a dessert. Just thought you'd like to know.
    tennessee sue

Rebecca,

My Daffodills have finished for the year. They are now forming seeds. It certainly is fun to see yours! You must have a spectacular garden!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Azalea City....

Here is a picture of Hunter standing in front of one of the azaleas at Bellingrath. He is holding up a map of the gardens. This is at the entrance to the gardens...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

A pretty few of the little lake....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another view...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.