+ Reply to Thread

Thread: first aid needed for tigridia mexican shellflower bulbs

Blog Entries

first aid needed for tigridia mexican shellflower bulbs

Advice would be appreciated for dealing with what appears to be somewhat dried tigridia(mexican shellflower) bulbs. Basically, what is the last ditch step to keep them alive ? (I can't plant them right now but I could put them in a bag of ? peat ? sawdust--should I add moisture--I'm grabbing at straws on this one. But I need to do something tonite because I'm going away for a week tomorrow).
    Thanks much !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Try putting them in a ziploc bag or pot of moist potting soil to let them start absorbing moisture and developing roots. Give them as much light as you can.

When the roots start developing, you should see new green growth. You will have to harden them off as soon as the last chance of frost is gone.

Since they are really dry, you may lose blooms this year, but at this point, your primary concern should be saving the bulbs and letting them regain their nutritional storage.

Hope that helps!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much Ann ! I did it. Moist soil in open ziplocks. Placed on basement south daylight window sill.
    I really appreciate it. I'm running around packing and caring for plants at the same time ! The Mexican shellflower is staying here but I'm Trying to take some spring bulbs that have been in cold storage with me to Florida(Mom) in an attempt to force them. Let's see what Security thinks about carry-on bulbs in sawdust
    Thanks again, Cathy

Blog Entries
    Ann- Just thought you might want to know that some of those bulbs are getting roots now. Thank you for the good advice.

Cathy,

Have you ever seen the bloom that this bulb produces? It is very exotic and unusual. The blooms are huge. When I first saw them, I expected them to be small because the bulbs are relatively small, but they aren't! The look like artificial flowers. Very pretty!

You will be pleased....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread