+ Reply to Thread

Thread: winter sowing

winter sowing

Hi All,
    Well I got alot of seeds sowed.
    5 different hollyhocks, clematis (2), cup & saucer, canterbury bells, pink painted daisy, scarlet flax,maltese cross, caryopteris 'bluebeard', caryopteris 'blue mist', marigold 'flame', carnation, cosmos 'bright lights', cosmos 'sensation', 'pink mist' scaboisa, baptisa australis, cleome 'blush', 'Don Juan' climbing rose, and penstemon 'husker's red'. I still have quite a few to go. 'Purple majesty' ornamental millet, white, pink & blue balloon flower,agastache, salvia to name a few more. Hope they grow!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vickie
    do hollyhocks do well started in pots and then transplanted.???
    shepp

Hollyhocks (HH)

Shepp,
    I started about 1/2 dozen last year that grew well when transplanted. Also bought a couple that were in 4" pots and they grew well also. Maybe I will find out something different this year, as I am new to growing from seed.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki, I have sown a lot of seed this winter. Thought I would try winter sowing. So far nothing up but should be soon. I started some hollyhock seed. We'll have to compare notes later.
    tennessee sue

Vicki, My hollyhocks from the winter sowing are back in their pots green and ready to go to Farmers market this spring. I will plant a couple to see how well they do in the ground for me. I have moved back to my house and my gardens are about lost to neglect. I have a lot of work to do to get them back like they were before I rented out my little house. I have a lot I want to plant.
    Did I see somewhere that you had seed for a pink maltese cross or was I dreaming?
    tennessee sue

Sue,
    Sorry you must've been dreaming! lol! Pink maltese cross would be nice though.
    Sorry you have so much to do at your little house, this really must be the busy time of year for you. Getting ready for the market and all. So this must mean your Mom is doing better? I sure hope so.
    Stuff is really starting to pop up here, now that all that nasty snow is gone. It has been very nice here the last couple weeks. Today is beautiful sunny, and 55 degrees.
    Hoping to see some signs of germination in the winter sown containers.
    I planted some ornamental millet purple, but it is green!!!
    Is this normal?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Purple Majestry

Vicki,

Everything that I have been told is that it is normal for the Purple Majesty to start out green. It will turn darker shades of purple as it ages.

Mine are about 8 inches tall now, and they are still very much green except that the midrib is turning darker. They are in the greenhouse still and need to be moved outside in the next week or so.

I guess it is wait and see if what you have been told is true, huh? I don't doubt that they will turn colors, but it would be more reassuring if they turned quicker, huh?

Sounds like you are getting ready for spring.

Sue, I still have a rose to ship to you, but the labels are all messed up so I have to wait until it blooms to know which is purple and which is yellow.

I am so tired of dealing with this hurricane stuff. I sure hope another does not come this way again for a VERY long time!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki, I do dream a lot I guess. Oh Well. Went to market today and sold all my hollyhocks. Not much produce yet but everybody was ready to plant. We did very well. It was about 70 by early morning and I got a little sunburnt. It was so nice. Going to big flea market tomorrow.
    Thanks for asking, Mom is doing well, but has gotten too used to having me around. I think with me not there all the time she will get back to being more involved with her friends and her church.
    Ann, we always lose a lot of labels with no hurricane, so I know how it is. It is a big pain. Look forward to my Banks Rose.
    We also found the millet stays green for a while.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread