+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nursery starter questions

Question Nursery starter questions

Hi folks,
    I'll try to make this short. My location is Ohio (zn 5). I'm trying to do some planning for beginning a nursery. I'd like to start out doing some container growing (probably the wrong term). In doing some reading, I'm wondering if I should worry about sheilding the containters for winter time (next winter). In the literature, the example was to do inset beds. In other words a reverse raised bed. The containers would sit down 4-6", and thereby be shielded from the winter winds. Are there alternatives to this method? For me, that would require some serious digging. Could you build some sort of wind break in conjunction with a fence? I'm planning that I will have to fence in my area where the containers would sit for protection from deer/rabbit. Would putting some type of snow fencing or fabric up on the wind side protect the containers from the wind/freezing?

If I'm worrying about something I shouldn't please tell me. I'm just a beginner on this nursery production stuff. Just trying to get started the right way. I'd like to be able to have 50-100 2 qt containers by winter time and maybe a little more if things progress well enough. Although I certainly don't want to lose them during the winter.

Sorry about the length of post.

Thanks very much
    Matt

dont worry about length of posts for your questions.
    you dont have to dig down.
    you can improvise any way you want to for a coldframe.
    glenn in bc uses tunnels i do believe . i use 14x48 ft coldframes.
    there is a guy on here in texas that built a greenhouse using concrete reinforcment in an arch. just use white plastic instead of clear. the main thing you are trying to accomplish is to keep winter wind burn off of your plants. you will still have to water your plants inside. use the search feature here on LP keyword "coldframes " lots of info i am sure.
    shepp zone 5/6 also where r u in the great buckeye state?

I am an hour north of Columbus.

Is it imperative that I cover the plants over winter with a plastic? I can understand the benefits. I suppose like anything it depends on the plants, conditions, etc......

If I do cover them, then I'm pretty much bound to have to water them thru the winter, yes?

My thoughts for this year were that the plants I would set out would grow thru the summer to the point that by fall they'd be established enough that they could withstand the winter with some protection around the container (cold frames). No water unless a warm spell hit late fall or late winter (just like this time of year). If this is just a recipe for disaster let me know.

My goal for getting started is just that. Getting started on a small scale, but considering I have nothing "built" yet aside from mature "mother" plants, I'm also trying to understand just how much work I do have to do before even potting my first container. If its going to entail building a cold frame with a cover over top, then I might have to rethink my goals for this year.

Matt

overwintering structures?

Matt--like Shepp said there are many ways to accomplish your overwintering. Shepp knows your climate much better than me.

Here in S.W. Canada the main problem in winter is about 40in. of rain between October and about now...more stuff will rot than freeze to death. Still we get the occasional arctic blast like this Jan. that fries top growth and can kill roots, mostly from dehydration of all things.

A helpful site is the university of North Carolina http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/nurs-index.html

Here you will find their very simple plans for the tunnels I make. About $100 to put together a 6ft. x 24ft. PVC pipe frame for your plastic.

Growers here with full size hoophouses have just now removed the white poly...hope they know something about the weather outlook!

Glen in BC

growers in this county have also removed plastic from coldframes.
    so i did also.
    i may regret it.
    golden vicary privets are putting on new growth.
    may slip it back on tomorrow for 3 days.
    keep reading and learning and dont get discouraged matt.
    we all make mistakes.
    i am an hour east of columbus.
    your welcome to stop by with advanced notice
    i can put you to work.
    shepp

Matt, We overwintered outside before we got our greenhouse. I like to pile leaves up around the pots for insulation. For late frosts we covered up with blankets. Try to place pots in a sheltered area, wind is worst factor and of course late frosts and freezes.
    I know you have colder winters than I do but snow cover all winter also insulates plants. Cold frames are nice but not necessary. Start small, good luck.
    tennessee sue

Matt -- go see Shepp's set up it will solve a lot of problems for you and be well worth the time.

Jim Lang -- I escaped from Ohio last October

Hey matt .
    stop by with advanced notice.
    you are welcome. you just have to let me know when.
    shepp .

Matt, I use fabric outside the fence to stop wind. This method is used for 1g and 2g understock only. I dont recommend leaves cuz mice will enjoy the warm setting for breeding. I have five cats to help with the mice control.

Good Idea to have the area fenced in to stop rabbits and deer.

Matt the coldframes that I have for dont need watering over winter cuz the pots are frozen. I do water the pots in the fall to keep the plants wet over winter. Just make sure the polyhouse doesnt get hot in the winter, even if you use white plastic.
    Your area/location might be different.

The method you discussed seemed to much work not needed.

Matt thats my bit of info to a beginner. George.

Thanks all for the replies and encouragement.

Shepp - I may just take you up on your offer seeings how
    your so close. It would be nice to see in person some
    of these techniques.

Back to reading and thinking......

Matt

what to grow

what do u plan to grow at your nursury...what seems to be the most popular I wonder?

Initially my plans would be to grow what I already have "mother" plants of. So, right now I have burning bush, var. ornamental grasses, var. perenials, and some trees on a limited basis (oaks, maples). Thats a start I guess. I hope to buy some other bushes/shrubery this spring that I can use for cuttings/propagation next year depending their grown and
    my progress.

Once I get things started and organized, then I would try to plan ahead somewhat and find out what is a popular item to grow so as to be "prepared".

But first things first, I have to get started. (Think small...think small...think small....)

Matt

good plan

I have a variety of "mother" plants also to start with and thought about maybe some hardy hibiscus..I really would be interested possibly in some boxwood,weigelia ad maybe some nice honey suckle and different things also ..whatever I choose it has to be fairly easy to propagate and fairly low maintaince...any ideas for plants like these..anyone?

Smile My 2 cents worth

Hi guys,
    I too am 'starting' my backyard nursery. Been working on the plan for 3 yrs. now. Gathering 'mother' plants, pots, flats, compost, mulch, etc. Also picked up a couple grow lights, big fan, door, vents, etc. (for someday greenhouse ). This years goals are grower/reseller license, intermittent mist system, and a hoophouse.
    As for suggestions for plants, kerria japicona, spireas, fothergilla gardenii, weigela, hydrangeas, viburnumns, mock orange (double), rose of sharon (doubles), these are only a few off of my 'WANT' list. It's as long as my arm! LOL!

Well gotta go pick up my son. See ya,

Telecaster,
    Did you make any good trades from GW last year?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

trades

I did get some hibiscus trades from a wonderful person but that's about it what were u refering to?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast