+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh, Those Dreaded Email Viruses....

Oh, Those Dreaded Email Viruses....

I received this email from Drexel University where I am taking online graduate courses. Just after reading this message, I received an email such as the one they describe. Thank goodness I didn't open it!

"Many of you have received bogus email with an attachment that required a password to open it. It appeared to be an official mailing from Drexel IRTstaff. Please do not open that mail; it is a virus and will infect your machine if your anti-virus definitions have not been updated in the last 12 hours.

The message and attachment are generated by the W32.Bagle(Beagle) J/K worm.
    It allows your computer to be controlled by others on the internet.

We believe there will be more viruses of this kind - with password protected attachments. This morning, Drexel IRT has configured the central mail antivirus scanners to remove all attachments which require a password to open them."

Again, don't open any attachments unless you are expecting them, even if it comes from your ISP provider.

Hope this helps....

Please continue to be suspicious of any emails that contain attachments from senders you do not know, even if the email looks "official", as is the case here. Also, make sure you run Live Update for Symantec Antivirus this morning. See the page below from Symantec's website for a more complete description of this worm.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...agle.j@mm.html"
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That's good advice.

Yet, I would add that people should also perform the Windows Update periodically. There a couple of viruses, that take advantage of software security holes, and that can infect your computer simply by viewing a message in the preview pane. In Outlook Express you can hide the preview pane, but you cannot disable it. To perform the Windows Update from Internet Explorer- Click on the Tools menu and select Windows Update. Many of the recommended updates are not necessary, but everyone should download and install all of the Critical Updates.

Welcome to Landspro, James!

As a matter of fact, I just upgraded to Windows XP, so I took your advise and applied the updates this morning.

Thanks!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread