+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: my little nursery progress

tonite is supposed to be cold! 10 i hope tonite and tomorrow nite is the end of that.
    we did more hanging baskets yesterday watered/ fertilized all of them and pinched them,tryin to get a fuller basket.
    added more horizontal pipeing to bump my head on hanging baskets.lots of things to do in the nursery today.divide grasses,make more baskets. water something ,pull a weed or 2.
    there is always something.
    shepp zone5/6

10? Did I read that right? 10?

Gosh, isn't it rather late to be getting that cold? Is there anything budding out that will be hurt by "10"?

I can't imagine 10 degrees, especially this late in the season. Spring has already arrived!

10?

I am in awe!

What do you do with your cold frames when there is such a sudden switch in the weather?

10! Oh, my gosh! That is COLD!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

i am hearing 23 . but the wind is what kills.
    we did another 100 HB today, boy i have tried to be creative in where to put them.
    with the price of steel going up greenhouses have gone up half again in price.
    i need room and i have lots of schedule 40 top rail .
    i did it before i will do again and bend my own greenhouse.
    its a lot of work but poor people have poor ways.
    and there is nothing wrong with yankee inginuity.
    its worked so far!
    time for me to bark at the MOON 0 howl , i am whupped....
    shepp zone5/6

weather for the next 5 days highs in the 50's lows 38 to 30.
    hooked up the water pump yesterday at the spring .watered 90% of the nursery and both greenhouses .
    my spring seems to be running at its best in 15 years i never emptied the 300 gallon watering trough and watered for 3 + hrs.
    good flow into it!
    it seems to be a drought of sorts occuring around my place.
    thunderstorm rolled thru yesterday but you couldnt fill a thimble.
    along with a few others in the past week. i have a little damage to tender growth of some pjm rhodies from the dip in temps in the past week. they are for long term sales anyway.would have liked to not lost the new growth . but when you run out of protected space thats what happens. the concrete blankets i used didnt work completely. at least it was only a few that had the new growth. lots of things need done today i just have to pick a chore and get busy. weeding is on the list.its not as bad as last year.thank goodness ,finally getting a handle on that chore! the dwf korean lilac and the carlesii compactum viburnum have flower buds showing. looks like its going to be fragrant spring around here.
    shepp zone5/6
    Last edited by shepp; 04-09-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Shepp and All,

We are definitely experiencing a severe drought again this spring. It was supposed to rain, but I watered anyway because I don't believe the forecast anymore.

Sure enough, the rain went south of us.

I have some more mist lines to run, but there has been no time. At least it is getting dark later now, and that helps.

My grad courses have started again, and that is going to keep me busy.

The good news is that there is only 6 more weeks of school, and then I get almost 3 months off for the summer. I will still be taking grad courses, but I will be home in the day time.

I went by Target yesterday and drooled at some of their plants. I didn't buy any though because I don't have time to water them everyday, much less get them in the ground where they need to be.

Thank goodness the pecan trees are starting to leaf out. It is getting rather warm. Highs in the 80's again, and the pecan trees make excellent shade.

I have garden fever, but since I am a first year teacher, I have the most difficult classes and struggling students. I never have and never will understand why they do that, but they do.

One thing for sure is that being at a really difficult school with struggling students has taught me a lot.

And WOW! What a great feeling when you hear the kids who weren't even trying before say, Ms. B! I got it!

Hang in there with me. I haven't gone anywhere. It's just that this teaching thing is consuming me right now.

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We had been on the dry side this spring but got a a very good rain today but cooler weather. Rain and cooler weather next 3 days then back to normal temps.
    Cool weather has not been too good for farmers market. Should pick up when weather warms up.
    This week is for moving cacti and house plants to greenhouse.
    Much more dividing and potting of perennials to be done. Did penstemon,heuchera and daylillies earlier this week, also Obedient Plant.
    Many many seedings to prick out and pot. I had a heavy seeding hand this winter so seedlings can't stay too long in flats.
    Redbud and dogwood blooming now. How beautiful they are this year.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2